Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bandaging a front paw?

Warren Scout

Default Bandaging a front paw?

Hi there,

My house rabbit has got a sore front paw - slightly bleeding on the bottom of one of his toes. My guess is that there was a prickle of some kind in his hay/forage and he's now over-grooming the sore area: it's been getting gradually worse over the last few days and he now won't put it down on the ground at all.

Any advice on bandaging a front paw? I tried to do vet wrap round the leg and then round his chest to hold the bandage on, but couldn't seem to get it right. He is 9 years old and very doddery and arthritic, so hasn't got very good balancing skills on three legs.

Any bandaging tips or other suggestions much appreciated. (He already takes metacam daily for arthritis so has pain relief, and he is cheerful in himself)

Thanks.

I don’t have any experience of this so I can’t advise, but I’m sending lots of vibes xx

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx

Mama Doe

I would get it looked at by a vet first - there's something else going on if he's not weight bearing on that foot, and it needs looking at before it gets worse. Not weight bearing on one foot will also put extra stress on his other limbs and spine, which will have adverse effects on the arthritis.

I agree with Shimmer. A Vet check is essential as your Bunny will need some pain relief at the very least. There may be some infection going on which is why the soreness is getting worse, in which case he would need antibiotics. Bandaging an infected paw without treating the infection would be asking for trouble.

I used to be ‘Jack’s-Jane’ but I have been logged out of that account and I can’t get back in !

Apologies if my posts read as being blunt. Failing eyesight makes it hard to type out long messages.

Warren Scout

Makes sense - thanks. Appointment booked for this evening

Quote Originally Posted by Shula View Post
    Makes sense - thanks. Appointment booked for this evening
    Good luck

I used to be ‘Jack’s-Jane’ but I have been logged out of that account and I can’t get back in !

Apologies if my posts read as being blunt. Failing eyesight makes it hard to type out long messages.

Hope vets visit goes well later, let us know how bunny gets on.
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Warren Scout

Thanks. It was a bit of a weird one really. The whole base of one toe came away from the foot when the vet cleaned it vigorously - like a massive scab but it went really deep, not like a 'normal' scab and not the normal 'material' that a scab is made of. No idea what has caused it. It was obvious really painful, though doesn't appear to be infected

He is already on the maximum dose of painkiller because of his arthritis (he started on a much lower dose but we have gradually upped it over the past three years) so the vet has said to just keep it clean and monitor it. Poor Hugo bunny

So, lots of treats and snuggles tonight, and hopefully it will begin to heal up soon.
    Last edited by Shula; 27-10-2020 at 07:45 PM. Reason: bad grammar!

Oh bless, glad its not infected, and hope the clean up will make it feel better. Yes treats well deserved I think. Sending lots of healing vibes for Hugos foot, and thanks for the update xx
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

I hope he is feeling better soon xx

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx