• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vacant seizures - he’s gone :(

Elena

Wise Old Thumper
Does this sound like one? Looking very withdrawn and not ‘with it’, not eating, not wanting to move around at all, swaying and looking shaky.

This was Smudge this morning, as a bit of background he has terminal lung cancer. I phoned the vet thinking it was ‘time’ but he has since picked up, ate some pellets, had some water and took himself off to have some hay. So I’ve cancelled the appointment as I’m not sure a two hour trip is the best thing for him right now. Just checked him again and he’s much more himself, still moving a little gingerly but way better.

Last edited:
Vacant seizures

Impossible to say without having witnessed it myself. Maybe he had some transient pain which has now resolved.

It was the look in his eyes, just like when I’ve had to make that decision in the past. No life behind them. Could be pain, I gave him metacam straight away so maybe it’s taken time for that to work.

Last edited:
Sending lots of vibes for Smudge. I hope that he continues to act more like his normal self.

Just a little note to say that Smudge passed away in my arms tonight. Was so fast. One minute I was thinking of getting my phone to call the emergency vets, the next minute he was gone.

Don’t quite know what I’m going to do with myself without him following me everywhere. And poor Imogen is on her own again. :cry:

That's so sad. Sorry to hear your heartbreaking news. I'm glad he got to go in your arms though. Sleep tight Smudge xx

I'm really sorry to read this. You were there to comfort him and that will have been the greatest comfort for Smudge. Binkey free gentle Smudge. xx

Oh no, my heart sank seeing this update. :cry: I'm so very sorry Elena. :(

I hope you and Imogen will be okay. ((((Huge hugs)))))

Sweet dreams, Smudge. xxxx

Just a little note to say that Smudge passed away in my arms tonight. Was so fast. One minute I was thinking of getting my phone to call the emergency vets, the next minute he was gone.

Don’t quite know what I’m going to do with myself without him following me everywhere. And poor Imogen is on her own again. :cry:

I am so very sorry :cry: RIP Smudge :cry:

Back