• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Marking

My rabbit has just got neutered but he has been marking since he was a baby and also marked my bed about 1 and a half weeks after getting neutered so how can I teach him to not mark my bed

It takes a couple of weeks for the hormones to die down after neutering, so I'd give it some more time. If he did a normal pee on your bed, though, I'm not sure you can teach him not to do that. Many bunnies like peeing on soft surfaces like beds and couches.

Usually when rabbits pee to mark their territory they spray their urine, while if they're just peeing because they like peeing on soft things, they just pee in their normal way. If they're doing it for marking reasons, it'll also smell stronger than regular pee.

My rabbit has just got neutered but he has been marking since he was a baby and also marked my bed about 1 and a half weeks after getting neutered so how can I teach him to not mark my bed
I had the same with Zeus, after neutering he was still peeing on my bed and then after reading some websites I realised I was missing signs so maybe they'll help for you.

I used to give him his absolute fav treat on my bed, to try encourage him a good association with being on the bed - this apparently encourages peeing on the bed, so have stopped it.

While he's on the bed I used to let him hop all over my pillows and anywhere on the bed - this apparently gives him the idea that anywhere on the bed is his, so he has to mark it. Now I limit him to one corner of the bed, if he hops to another area I put him back on his corner. I steer clear of that corner so it keeps his scent.

Also used to allow him to hop all over me on the bed - this apparently lets him think he's dominant over me and this encourages him to mark/pee to remind me that he's top bunny. Now I don't let him anymore, I still cuddle him, but on his area of the bed.

Also used to let him scratch on the duvet. Which apparently is a sign of 'I need a wee'

Lastly, I cleaned my mattress with the vinegar, water and Bicarb solution(had to really scrub it in). Washed everything and then started the alternate actions as mentioned above. Also, now as soon as he starts scratching or gets that need a wee look, I will pick him up and come put him in his litter tray. It does take vigilance and a lot of getting out the bed to take him to the litter box, but he now knows his area of the bed and will only hop on me when he's waking me up on a weekend for breakfast [emoji4] no more sleeping past 7am [emoji15]

He seems to have stopped marking/peeing on the bed. Hope these might help [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Back