• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vibes for Lilac please!

Orenoko

Mama Doe
Lilac seems to have some gas today which is a first for her. She was acting completely normally this morning, running around and eating hay, she also had a piece of chicory root. About 20 minutes later she was sitting near me and I heard a few loud gurgles. She's pressed her tummy on the floor a couple of times too. I checked to see what she would eat, she will only accept fenugreek crunchies and a bit of porridge oats (which I know aren't good for rabbits but I just offered them to test her appetite). She won't eat critical care or anything else.

I've given her belly a bit of a massage, which she wasn't very impressed about but then she hates being stroked in general so that's not completely out of the norm. Her belly doesn't feel hard but it did do a gurgle when I was massaging her. She feels warm and was certainly feisty when I picked her up. She's currently sulking under the sofa which she always does after I pick her up.

My vet isn't open but if we need to go to the emergency vet we will, just hoping she will make a quick recovery!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Oh dear, what has her poo output been like overnight ? What comes out is as important as what goes in. Sending lots of vibes for her x

Oh dear, what has her poo output been like overnight ? What comes out is as important as what goes in. Sending lots of vibes for her x
I'm not 100% sure because she shares everything with Rupert but there were plenty of poo's in the litter tray this morning. I will be keeping a very close eye on her this afternoon to see what happens.

Sending millions of vibes from casse del lilleo and all of us here. I hope lilac starts to feel comfortable soon. Xx

Thanks all for the good vibes. I rang the vet to see what their emergency details were and they answered and said they had an appointment! I've just taken her in, she has a slightly low temperature but nothing too bad, the vet can't feel any blockages so the plan is to give some subcut fluids, antibiotics just in case, painkillers and emeprid. Hopefully she will pick up later today once everything kicks in.

She is absolutely the worst patient, I am not looking forward to giving her the medicine! Rupert happily laps up medicine from a syringe, whereas Lilac runs a mile any time a syringe goes anywhere near her mouth!

Lots of vibes - hope she feels better on her meds & you can get her to co-operate with tking them

Lots of vibes for Lilac. I hope the meds will help her feel better soon, and that you, of course, can get her to take her meds in the first place.

Poor Lilac, really hope the meds make here feel more comfortable, sending lots of vibes for her xxx

I gave her the baytril as soon as we got home while she was still in the carrier, so don't have to worry about that again until tomorrow, but she still put up a fight! She has just eaten some dandelion leaves and done a dirty protest in the middle of the living room floor, which I'm actually happy about as it all looks normal and at least I know she's pooing! Any time i move she runs away, I think she thinks I'm going to grab her again! But things seem to be moving in the right direction. Maybe she didn't 'need' vet treatment but I'd rather pay the money and have her checked over properly even if it's more for my own peace of mind!

I gave her the baytril as soon as we got home while she was still in the carrier, so don't have to worry about that again until tomorrow, but she still put up a fight! She has just eaten some dandelion leaves and done a dirty protest in the middle of the living room floor, which I'm actually happy about as it all looks normal and at least I know she's pooing! Any time i move she runs away, I think she thinks I'm going to grab her again! But things seem to be moving in the right direction. Maybe she didn't 'need' vet treatment but I'd rather pay the money and have her checked over properly even if it's more for my own peace of mind!

Feisty is good, and glad she's pooing ok. I agree, better safe than sorry with vets.

Thank you, she's done a few more poo's and is running around so hopefully everything is going in the right direction

Back