• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dental

glitterdust

Warren Scout
Jimmy's had yet another dental and this time he is extremely sore while trying to eat , he's biting off peices of whatever I give him and spitting them out. I have Critical care and he holds it in his mouth and spits it out, I've tried soaking pellets and he does the same , I've tried baby food and the same thing happens, so I tried porridge and banana and he loves it and pooped while I was feeding him, but am I wrong in thinking this may cause a gut problem or is not eating a worse problem. Normally after dentals he is fine but he is very sore. He is normally alot better after 72 hours. I just need to get him through the next few days.
Any advice please.

He is on painkillers.
Thank you

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'm sorry poor Jimmy is so sore. It might be worth it getting him checked out by the vet if he doesn't start eating more soon. When I've had this happen with dental bunnies, that they're not the same as usual afterwards, there was sometimes some damage in their mouth, caused by the dental, that the vets had missed while they were doing it, that made it very painful to eat. It wouldn't change anything about treatment, though, since Jimmy is already on painkillers, but you'd know what was going on, at least. You could also ask the vet if a higher dose of painkillers would be helpful, and you might also want to ask for some meds for his gut to prevent gut issues from not eating enough, since that would cause him to be less hungry and eat even less. In my opinion, when a bunny is struggling to eat, nearly anything is better than not eating at all, so if he's eating porridge and banana then I'd keep giving him that, but not everyone might agree. I hope he'll feel better soon. Lots of vibes for him.

Last edited:
I'm sorry poor Jimmy is so sore. It might be worth it getting him checked out by the vet if he doesn't start eating more soon. When I've had this happen with dental bunnies, that they're not the same as usual afterwards, there was sometimes some damage in their mouth, caused by the dental, that the vets had missed while they were doing it, that made it very painful to eat. It wouldn't change anything about treatment, though, since Jimmy is already on painkillers, but you'd know what was going on, at least. You might also want to ask the vet for some meds for his gut to prevent gut issues from not eating enough, since that can cause him to be less hungry and eat even less, too. In my opinion, when a bunny is struggling to eat, nearly anything is better than not eating at all, so if he's eating porridge and banana then I'd keep giving him that, but not everyone might agree. I hope he'll feel better soon. Lots of vibes for him.
He has gut stimulant , this was the second visit to the vets for dental as the first one made no difference, so I seen the best vet for rabbits this time and I know when she does him he lasts longer inbetween.
He gets ulcers sometimes which prolongs his recovery so I am assuming he has another ulcer. I will ring them tomorrow if no improvement , I always feel like I badger the life out of them, I'm constantly getting at them or ringing them. I am the classic pain in the backside customer ,I think they are called "Karen's" these days [emoji1787]
Thank you.

Oh, I'm glad he already has gut stimulant. An ulcer could explain why he's struggling so much, yeah... When I worry about bothering the vet, I always tell myself that they'll be getting money from me, so they must be glad! But, seriously, I think vets would rather know what's going on now than that you only contact them once the problem's so bad there's less they can do to help. They do care about animals, so must want to help if there are any issues, and a bunny struggling to eat isn't a little problem, of course.

Last time Frosty had a dental he had ulcers that prolonged his recovery. He ended up on twice daily metacam and also gut stimulants. I’d call the vets and see if his metacam dose can be increased/ Split and given twice a day to give better relief. Sending lots of vibes xx

Sending lots of vibes for poor Jimmy's mouth. I hope it starts to feel less sore soon.

I agree with giving the porridge and banana, as in my view it's better that he's eating. You could also try varying it a bit and mixing a few soaked pellets in with it, or some herbs if he usually likes these.

Zoobec's advice regarding the Metacam dose is also what I would do.

Sending vibes.

We've had issues with dentals before.

Sometimes Primrose needed lots of painkillers and once none at all!

I'd give the vet a call and ask what sort of level they've given.

For our 2.5kg bun for bad pain we were usually on a 10kg dog dose of metacam twice a day.

And if pain was manageable it would be the 7.5kg dose once a day.

So pretty variable.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Last time Frosty had a dental he had ulcers that prolonged his recovery. He ended up on twice daily metacam and also gut stimulants. I’d call the vets and see if his metacam dose can be increased/ Split and given twice a day to give better relief. Sending lots of vibes xx
Is emiprid gut stimulant as this is what he has.. I will add a few pellets and fine chopped parsley to the porridge (how awful) ,How often should i feed him this , I'm currently doing it every 3 hours it's a large syringe
Thank you

Sending vibes.

We've had issues with dentals before.

Sometimes Primrose needed lots of painkillers and once none at all!

I'd give the vet a call and ask what sort of level they've given.

For our 2.5kg bun for bad pain we were usually on a 10kg dog dose of metacam twice a day.

And if pain was manageable it would be the 7.5kg dose once a day.

So pretty variable.

He is currently on 0.9 dog dose of metacam once per day. He weighs just under 2kg. X

Yeah I would definitely ask for a split dose every 12 hours.

I find it wears off in that period when bun is struggling a lot.

It's terrible the things I find myself making up to give them lol.

I find a warm coriander tea used to make the critical care helps Rodney seems to improve the smell at least!

Maybe use it in the porridge?

Does Jimmy have tooth root elongation as well as problems with the crowns of his teeth ? Does he have any lumps along his jawline ?

It may be that the dental has aggregated the nerves in his tooth roots so it will hurt when he chews. Hopefully this should ease off over a few days. I agree that giving Metacam 12 hourly would be better than giving it every 24 hours. Rabbits metabolise Meloxicam, the active ingredient in Metacam, faster than other species so once daily dosing may not give 24 hour analgesic cover x

It may be that the dental has aggregated the nerves in his tooth roots so it will hurt when he chews. Hopefully this should ease off over a few days. I agree that giving Metacam 12 hourly would be better than giving it every 24 hours. Rabbits metabolise Meloxicam, the active ingredient in Metacam, faster than other species so once daily dosing may not give 24 hour analgesic cover x
You are always so good at putting my mind at ease and telling me what I need to know, thank you.
I've rang the vet anyway and waiting for a call back to see if banana and porridge will be suitable until he feels better and to see if I can up his metacam dose
thank you xx

Hope that the Vet gets back to you soon :)
Took Jimmy to the vets this morning and they kept him in as his stomach was starting to bloat, he's still wincing when trying to eat and holding food in his mouth and then dropping it. They checked inside his mouth again and said there was a white mark on his cheek where they filed the tooth ,either caused by the tooth or the procedure, so that will be what is hurting him. Norah had statis 3 weeks ago that ended Her life so im so very very worried.
Can rabbits come back from this.?
I know i always do what i can to to help my bunnies and I knew this time it wasn't working.
I know he's in the right place even though the stress may make him worse.
They are giving him fluids and monitering him.
I'm so worried X

Took Jimmy to the vets this morning and they kept him in as his stomach was starting to bloat, he's still wincing when trying to eat and holding food in his mouth and then dropping it. They checked inside his mouth again and said there was a white mark on his cheek where they filed the tooth ,either caused by the tooth or the procedure, so that will be what is hurting him. Norah had statis 3 weeks ago that ended Her life so im so very very worried.
I know i always do what i can to to help my bunnies and I knew this time it wasn't working.
I'm so worried X

I am sorry that he is not doing too well. Certainly getting him admitted for intensive care will give him the best chance of recovery. Fluid therapy can make a huge difference when a Rabbit is in gut stasis. I really hope that he will start to respond to treatment soon. Maybe the Vet will takes some bloods to see if there are any kidney or liver problems contributing to his slow recovery. Sending lots of vibes for him x

I'm so worried X

Lots and lots of vibes for Jimmy. No wonder you're so very worried after losing Norah to statis just 3 weeks ago... I'm so sorry you lost her. Jimmy really is in the right place now, and I hope he'll start to feel better soon now that he's getting treatment. Rabbits can definitely come back from this, but it needs time, both for the treatment to work and for the sore in his mouth to heal. All you can do in the meantime is keeping them as comfortable as possible, and it sounds like you're doing all you can for him.

Lots and lots of vibes for Jimmy. No wonder you're so very worried after losing Norah to statis just 3 weeks ago... I'm so sorry you lost her. Jimmy really is in the right place now, and I hope he'll start to feel better soon now that he's getting treatment. Rabbits can definitely come back from this, but it needs time, both for the treatment to work and for the sore in his mouth to heal. All you can do in the meantime is keeping them as comfortable as possible, and it sounds like you're doing all you can for him.
Thank you.
It's going to be a long day. Jimmy has ongoing dentals and they are very regular , I always think to myself once he is sick more than he is well I should let him go and he hasn't been right since Norah left. He has a new friend now but he hasn't eaten much and hasn't been the same for 3 weeks. .
If he doesn't pull through it will be because this is the way it's meant to be. If he Does pull through, then it's a blessing and he's meant to stay for Now.
I will leave it in the hands of the universe to decide.
It's hard when you want to control an outcome but I've found out as lve got older that most things in life you can't control. We can only hope for a positive outcome.
Thanks for the support.

Back