Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dental

Default Dental

Jimmy's had yet another dental and this time he is extremely sore while trying to eat , he's biting off peices of whatever I give him and spitting them out. I have Critical care and he holds it in his mouth and spits it out, I've tried soaking pellets and he does the same , I've tried baby food and the same thing happens, so I tried porridge and banana and he loves it and pooped while I was feeding him, but am I wrong in thinking this may cause a gut problem or is not eating a worse problem. Normally after dentals he is fine but he is very sore. He is normally alot better after 72 hours. I just need to get him through the next few days.
    Any advice please.

He is on painkillers.
    Thank you

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by glitterdust; 23-10-2020 at 01:26 PM.

I'm sorry poor Jimmy is so sore. It might be worth it getting him checked out by the vet if he doesn't start eating more soon. When I've had this happen with dental bunnies, that they're not the same as usual afterwards, there was sometimes some damage in their mouth, caused by the dental, that the vets had missed while they were doing it, that made it very painful to eat. It wouldn't change anything about treatment, though, since Jimmy is already on painkillers, but you'd know what was going on, at least. You could also ask the vet if a higher dose of painkillers would be helpful, and you might also want to ask for some meds for his gut to prevent gut issues from not eating enough, since that would cause him to be less hungry and eat even less. In my opinion, when a bunny is struggling to eat, nearly anything is better than not eating at all, so if he's eating porridge and banana then I'd keep giving him that, but not everyone might agree. I hope he'll feel better soon. Lots of vibes for him.
    Last edited by a reader of books; 23-10-2020 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by a reader of books View Post
    I'm sorry poor Jimmy is so sore. It might be worth it getting him checked out by the vet if he doesn't start eating more soon. When I've had this happen with dental bunnies, that they're not the same as usual afterwards, there was sometimes some damage in their mouth, caused by the dental, that the vets had missed while they were doing it, that made it very painful to eat. It wouldn't change anything about treatment, though, since Jimmy is already on painkillers, but you'd know what was going on, at least. You might also want to ask the vet for some meds for his gut to prevent gut issues from not eating enough, since that can cause him to be less hungry and eat even less, too. In my opinion, when a bunny is struggling to eat, nearly anything is better than not eating at all, so if he's eating porridge and banana then I'd keep giving him that, but not everyone might agree. I hope he'll feel better soon. Lots of vibes for him.
    He has gut stimulant , this was the second visit to the vets for dental as the first one made no difference, so I seen the best vet for rabbits this time and I know when she does him he lasts longer inbetween.
    He gets ulcers sometimes which prolongs his recovery so I am assuming he has another ulcer. I will ring them tomorrow if no improvement , I always feel like I badger the life out of them, I'm constantly getting at them or ringing them. I am the classic pain in the backside customer ,I think they are called "Karen's" these days
    Thank you.

Oh, I'm glad he already has gut stimulant. An ulcer could explain why he's struggling so much, yeah... When I worry about bothering the vet, I always tell myself that they'll be getting money from me, so they must be glad! But, seriously, I think vets would rather know what's going on now than that you only contact them once the problem's so bad there's less they can do to help. They do care about animals, so must want to help if there are any issues, and a bunny struggling to eat isn't a little problem, of course.

Last time Frosty had a dental he had ulcers that prolonged his recovery. He ended up on twice daily metacam and also gut stimulants. Id call the vets and see if his metacam dose can be increased/ Split and given twice a day to give better relief. Sending lots of vibes xx

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx

Wise Old Thumper

Sending lots of vibes for poor Jimmy's mouth. I hope it starts to feel less sore soon.

I agree with giving the porridge and banana, as in my view it's better that he's eating. You could also try varying it a bit and mixing a few soaked pellets in with it, or some herbs if he usually likes these.

Zoobec's advice regarding the Metacam dose is also what I would do.

Sending vibes.

We've had issues with dentals before.

Sometimes Primrose needed lots of painkillers and once none at all!

I'd give the vet a call and ask what sort of level they've given.

For our 2.5kg bun for bad pain we were usually on a 10kg dog dose of metacam twice a day.

And if pain was manageable it would be the 7.5kg dose once a day.

So pretty variable.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Zoobec View Post
    Last time Frosty had a dental he had ulcers that prolonged his recovery. He ended up on twice daily metacam and also gut stimulants. Id call the vets and see if his metacam dose can be increased/ Split and given twice a day to give better relief. Sending lots of vibes xx
    Is emiprid gut stimulant as this is what he has.. I will add a few pellets and fine chopped parsley to the porridge (how awful) ,How often should i feed him this , I'm currently doing it every 3 hours it's a large syringe
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by CarelessSquid07 View Post
    Sending vibes.

We've had issues with dentals before.

Sometimes Primrose needed lots of painkillers and once none at all!

I'd give the vet a call and ask what sort of level they've given.

For our 2.5kg bun for bad pain we were usually on a 10kg dog dose of metacam twice a day.

And if pain was manageable it would be the 7.5kg dose once a day.

So pretty variable.

He is currently on 0.9 dog dose of metacam once per day. He weighs just under 2kg. X

Yeah I would definitely ask for a split dose every 12 hours.

I find it wears off in that period when bun is struggling a lot.

It's terrible the things I find myself making up to give them lol.

I find a warm coriander tea used to make the critical care helps Rodney seems to improve the smell at least!

Maybe use it in the porridge?