• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Chewing house bun

drmag

Young Bun
My bunny Maggie is a neutered femake house bun aged 14months. She was quite destructive when she hit her bunny teens and pre neutering and then for a few months post neuter but calmed down and even more so when we got her a very calm docile husbun who was very well behaved. Before him she would chew everything despite an abundance of toys and attention from us.
He unfortunately passed away 2 months back and I ended up getting her a new husbun.
New husbun is on the naughtier side, I have seen him occasionally chew a door and table legs and have noticed her starting to chew everything again.
I was hoping this was a phase rather than them being a bad influence on each other.

Do rabbits go through "teething" episodes that calm down or periods of bad behaviour that then calm down.
(They have unlimited hay, chew boxes chew sticks cardboard playhouses, pine cone and plenty of space no garden access though.)

Unfortunately chewing is a normal behaviour for Rabbits. Some do it much more than others. Rabbit’s teeth grow continuously so they don’t go through ‘teething episodes’.

You probably just need to make the area they have access to as Bunny proof as possible. It sounds as though you are already providing them with environmental enrichment and space. If accepting some chewing of things not meant for chewing is not possible then maybe next Spring you need to consider if moving them to be outdoor Rabbits would work better for all of you. Obviously this would mean providing a suitable very large, insulated and secure accommodation for them.

If you cannot have them as outdoor Rabbits or you do not want to do that then just having them live in one room of the house rather than having access to the entire house might be a damage limitation option.

Good luck :)

Yeah, chewing stuff is just what bunnies do; it's not them being naughty or bad behaviour. =) It's like how cats need to scratch and sharpen their nails; you might not like them doing it on your furniture, but it's natural behaviour to them.

If you want to bunny proof things, for your doors you could try putting a strip of plexiglass along the edges of the door (or of furniture), so they can't reach the corners with their teeth. For table legs, you have things like this for kitties that would work: https://www.love2cat.com/products/wrap-on-cat-scratching-post You wrap them around the table legs. There are also things called chair socks that might work, like these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Furniture-SACONELL-Polyester-Protector-Elastic/dp/B07ZJCS6W4/ Those could work if the bunnies keep their chewing low to the ground, otherwise they might not be high enough. If they chew on walls or skirting boards, plexiglass can work there, too, and for skirting boards you can get covers, too, like these: https://www.ukhomeinteriors.co.uk/p...irting-boards-overview/skirting-board-covers/

Thanks! I have put NIC grids around all my precious bits of furniture, she had calmed down for 8 months essentially and restarted some bad behaviours since this new chap came along.
I think plexiglass is a great idea as their new thing is to chew the doors and skirting outside the rooms they're not allowed in.
Have just googled and there are plexiglass door covers for pets so I'm not alone. Ha.

Thanks!

Definitely not alone!

Mine do both chew when they fancy it.

Walls, skirting boards, doors table legs...

I've taken to protecting the unsafe stuff and now have wooden bunny chewed furniture for the most part.

I've decided for the moment that it adds character [emoji16] and try not to think about how to sell the house at a later date.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Back