• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Does Your Vet Prescribe Paracetamol as an Analgesic for Rabbits ?

I don't know as I haven't had any pain relief for mine at home since 2016, but I will try and remember to ask what that's about when Chibbs gets her vaccs next month. I have been intrigued by the upsurge in mentions of it on here :thumb:

I've not heard of this either through work or different practices I've visited for rabbits

Interesting... am wondering for guinea pigs! The concern with it in humans is the liver, I think?

It seems to be becoming much more common. In dogs too, apparently.

I've seen this in dogs, when Jack became suddenly ill last month after he'd had bloods/had injectable treatment the vet advised I could give paracetamol and the dosage if I was unable/would rather not bring him for more injections/a combination of drugs the following day. I didn't give it and went back to the vets, although one of the drugs was Pardale V which is paracetamol (and codeine I believe) which is licensed for dogs. He has had this before when recovering from a very painful op (cystotomy) in combination with other pain relief.

I'd be concerned as we've had some owners (dogs) that have read it's ok to give so have done this at home.but have never checked the dosage with the vet! Also I don't think it's wise without having routine bloods to check liver function etc

Last edited:
No not here.

Our vet seems to go with metacam first and then various stronger things after that never drugs I recognise though.

A metacam shortage sounds worrying!

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

My understanding is that some Vets are using Paracetamol as an add on when Metacam alone is not enough. Rather than using Opiates/ Tramadol. I have asked my Vet to look into it and get back to me x

I must admit if safe then a non opioid option does sound good.

When my guys have had stronger stuff they are so out of it often for a very long time as well.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Never in the US. I'd be worried if it began here because how stringent warnings are against it's ingestion by animals. The availability of metacam is causing a lot of issues for me, I just had to go to Chewy to get some and was surprised when my vet offered some before my order arrived.

I take Tylenol on a daily basis for my arthritis and I'm sure it's hurting my liver but I'm allergic to all alternatives. It's not good for your system but neither is chronic pain. :(

I've heard of a few people recently who were told to use paracetamol for their dog - but I don't know if this really was official veterinary advice or not, as I wasn't impressed with the casual approach they had to the dose rate.

When Scrappy was really ill, I'm sure the vet mentioned giving her paracetamol to try and bring her fever down. I don't know if she was given it in the end. But it wasn't said in the context of pain relief.

I asked about it for Fiver. My vet looked into using children's calpol but the dosage was insane so I opted out of it.

When Scrappy was really ill, I'm sure the vet mentioned giving her paracetamol to try and bring her fever down. I don't know if she was given it in the end. But it wasn't said in the context of pain relief.
Certainly this is the better use in humans: it's pain relief properties are pretty hit&miss (in humans).

I asked about it for Fiver. My vet looked into using children's calpol but the dosage was insane so I opted out of it.
I thought this would be the case, given rabbits use so much metacam.

Back