• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can bun pellets give stale?

Mervinius

Mama Doe
Archie and Pip have been off their pellets for a week or so. I dont think its a health reason like dental etc, because everything else is getting munched with great enthusiasm. Also their poopage is fine. [emoji7].

Can pellets go stale? They do eat them, but its taking them an hour or more to gobble them up. Where as they used to eat them in under 3 mins. I have been buying larger bags because I'm struggling to find the smaller ones in stock.

They are both visiting the vet tomorrow anyway for the new triple jab, so I can get them checked over.

Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Pellets can dry out - they have air pockets in them so if they are exposed to air for long periods than I would assume they will, like any natural product, dry out and effectively go stale.

Yes, pellets can go off, and it depends how you store them. If you are getting larger bags, I would dispense them into smaller, sealed containers. Open bags can also get infestations of various pests, so pick airtight containers. I use Whitefurze 10 litre lidded buckets, but you could use old ice crean tubs, etc. Then use one tub at a time, so the others remain sealed - and store somewhere cool, dark and dry (eg a cupboard). If they get damp at all, they need to be thrown out.

If you are not sure about your current supply, get a small new bag and see if they are OK with those.

Thanks all. Its not a massive bag, but because they are only teeny we don't give them many. We already decant them into a tupperware box. It has a rubber seal so should keep them fresh. The remainder is kept in the bag in the kitchen cupboard. This isn't sealed, so wondering if the air has got into the bag and they dont taste as yummy.

[emoji17] . There's lots left though

Pellets sometimes dated with a use by date or date code that tells production date. If stored near other items they can pick up scents.

They are within date, and kept in the bun cupboard. So there's only other yummy treats in there. But I can understand this could be an issue.

I think they can go stale. If you can't find a smaller bag to buy may I suggest putting the pellets in a container with cover. Like a big glass jar.

Back