• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice after neuter please...

BugBabe

Warren Scout
Hi

Things were going well and the boys have had a really good sleep in the living room one behind each sofa lol. went to put them to bed and for some reason whenever Bob goes near Dex, Dex makes a squeeky sound, thumps and legs it. He wont let him anywhere near him. I think I caught them fighting earlier this evening but I can't be sure if it was or just Dex running away. They haven't fought before (that I have noticed and they do get alot of our attention). The nurse said that she kept them together all the time except for when they were having it done so I really don't know what to do here!

Also the vet gave us Baytril for Dex as she thought he might get a little infection. She said to give 1ml for 5 days by oral syringe. How on earth do you do this? We tried holding him down and putting it in but he wasn't having nay of it and we were distressing him further. I tried wrapping him up in a blankie but no. We both came out with a lot of scratches. Do you have any suggestions for administration?

All help greatly received.

A scratched and abused Anna & Jon and Sleepy Bob & Dexter xx

i HAVE FOUND THE BEST WAY IS TO TURN THEM OVER AND HOLD THEM LIKE YOU WOULD A BABY; IF NECCESARY GET SOMEONE TO HOLD HIM IN THAT POSITION AND YOU CONCENTRATE ON GIVING THE BATRIL, PUT IT IN THE CORNER OF THE MOUTH PUSH RIGHT IN AND SQUIRT. VAL

hey there, don't worry, your boys prob just feel a little tender and peed off! maybe a bit groggy or just want to be left alone while they re-coup. i'm sure when they are feeling well again they will stop acting up. :)

i have had to administer that stuff to all 3 of my monsters too, and they hate it! i'm not surprised, during on of my scuffles with al i ended up with a drop of the stuff on my lip, amongst other places, it tastes really bitter, yuck! try adding a little pinapple juice to it. they seem to like it better that way, also the pinapple won't do any harm, it helps stimulate the gut, so is helpful after an op to keep things moving through smoothly. :roll:

i have found that the best way is to kneel on the floor with the rabbit snugly between your legs, make sure your feet are blocking the exit out the back! and you have the rabbit securely, then, while administering lots of loving cuddles and nose rubs, gently push your bun's face against your leg. sounds like a wierd kama sutra so far but bear with me here...have the syrinye primed and ready for action then while your bun in restrained in this was gently pull the lips a little so you can get the end of the syringe in the gap behind the frount teeth, and pop a bit in. :wink:

i find at this puint they start to wiggle a bit so make sure you've got the guy securely, it will all be over soon... i have found that 1/2 mil incraments at a time works best as any more than that just ends up on the floor, or teir fury feet, or my leg. :roll:

keep going at bit at a time till it's all gone down. taked a bit of practice but once you've cracked it it's a very handy trick, espesh when you gotta feed large quantities!

steve has a spot of gut stasis at the mo so am syringe feeding the ol pinapple juice as recomended be the vet.

hope it goes well

Hi

Well we tried it and we are both now covered in scratches - it is so hard! Poor little thing, I used to hate it when my mum used to give me medicine!! :lol:

Hi,

I think on another post Lynda (bunnyhuggger) suggested putting the baytril on the food.

lol Pam

Ps Hope they are feeling better soon

After Ozzie's op he had some swelling so the vet gave us some antibiotics to feed him through a syringe. It was a complete nightmare!! Ozzie was so distressed and now he doesn't trust us when we try to pick him up - he tries to bite! We're slowly building up his confidence again.

We ended up putting the syringe through the mesh to his cage, and funnily enough, he came up to it, then we squirted it out and into his mouth it went! Very flukey I know - that was the last dose, so I don't think he would have fell for it the next day!

Good luck.

kimbun's mum said:
Hi,

I think on another post Lynda (bunnyhuggger) suggested putting the baytril on the food.

lol Pam

Ps Hope they are feeling better soon

That's how I did it, as I hated trying to syringe it into my bunny's mouth as it caused him so much distress.

Back