• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Casper's teeth

a reader of books

Warren Veteran
I just did Casper and Sophie's weekly health checks and Casper's incisors are looking weird to me? I admit that I haven't seen them in a while, as I'm not able to check them every week since Casper hates having his mouth touched (he has dental problems, though so far his incisors have always been fine). I'll email the picture to the vet tomorrow when they're open, but just wanted to double check that this is indeed not how healthy incisors should look? They look very uneven.

aovMzCGh.jpg

I just read that the way each of his incisors seems to consist of two ridges instead of the smooth, flat-looking teeth Sophie has is a sign of calcium deficiency or not having the right calcium/phosphourus ratio in his diet? Apparently another sign of that is the tooth roots being too long, and that's a problem Casper has had for years. He gets daily painkillers because some roots are growing/being pushed through his jaw. I'm really worried now. Have I been messing up his teeth by not feeding him properly...? Sophie gets the exact same diet, and her teeth are fine. He doesn't have a weird diet; he gets lots of hay and some veggies and some pellets. I'll see what the vet says tomorrow... I'm kind of freaking out, though.

Sorry I don’t know anything about the teeth. However I just wanted to say that I'm sure you've done nothing wrong! Try not to worry and see what the vet says tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

I don't think you've done anything wrong with his diet! I hope you can get in contact with your vet today amd that he/she can give some good advise what to do!

I've no experience with this sort of issue, but I hope that you can have a good discussion about Casper's teeth with his vet today.

I've no experience of this, so cannot offer any advice, but hope vet can offer some. Sending lots of vibes for Casper xx

Thank you for your kind words, everyone. I really appreciate it.

It looks as though his incisors are now effected by his pre- existing dental problems.This is likely to involve the incisor roots too. Unfortunately dental disease is often progressive.Has he had skull radiographs taken relatively recently ?

Some more information here :

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Dental_diseases/Differential/Rabbit_dentistry.pdf

https://www.vetstream.com/treat/lapis/freeform/dental-malocclusion-overgrowth
Thank you for sharing the information. I just read it all and it was very informative. He hasn't had skull radiographs taken recently, no, because he's been doing really well and hasn't needed a dental for his molars in a long time. I'll ask the vet for it, though. It'd be good to know what everything looks like these days.

One of the vets at my practice looked at the photo and says his teeth don't look abnormal, and that if he's eating well (he is) that's the most important thing, so that's a relief. I do admit I'm surprised, though, since they do look different than Sophie's teeth, but I know I can be too anxious about things, so it can be hard to judge whether I'm worried about something real.

That does look different than Casper's, doesn't it? Am I imagining things? Those in your picture are equally long, with a flat bottom, while Casper's aren't.

Well I am not Veterinary qualified, but Casper's incisors do not look normal to me. Maybe just take a picture once a week so you can record changes. Have a feel along his jaw line for any lumps too and watch out for sneezing and/or runny eyes.

Oh, so it's not just me who thinks they don't look normal? I'll keep an eye on it and will keep taking pictures; that's a good idea. I always check his jaws and face for lumps during his weekly health check, so I'll keep doing that, too. He's had teary eyes sometimes for a few years now, but skull radiographs showed that it's not because of tooth roots, and so the vet thinks that it's likely that an infection he had once left scar tissue in his tear ducts. I'll just keep a close eye on him... Thank you for sharing your thoughts on it. I appreciate it.

This is an image of a Rabbit with normal incisors

D1nyHAe.jpg
Sorry to hijack a little, Jane what does it mean if the teeth aren't white? More a orangey light brown colour?

I hope Casper's teeth are okay, I have to confess I don't look at my lots teeth often [emoji51]

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

The tooth enamel should be white/creamy white. If it is very discoloured this may indicate a potential problem and a Vet check would be advisable x

I seem to remember somebun in our warren has orange gnashers - maybe its Boo. I only get to see their tushy pegs when they yawn & I don't have my assessmentment eyes ready then. I shall check in with Joey & Boo later, Mousey took a chunk out of my finger (right by the nail) only a few days ago so I'll leave hers to vet checks .

Good your vet has reassurred you. Boos teeth freak out each new vet she sees (cheek teeth, not incisors).

Thank you, Graciee and joey&boo.

I seem to remember somebun in our warren has orange gnashers - maybe its Boo. I only get to see their tushy pegs when they yawn & I don't have my assessmentment eyes ready then. I shall check in with Joey & Boo later, Mousey took a chunk out of my finger (right by the nail) only a few days ago so I'll leave hers to vet checks .

Good your vet has reassurred you. Boos teeth freak out each new vet she sees (cheek teeth, not incisors).
Ouch! Leaving hers to vet checks sounds like a good idea...

Back