Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Casper's teeth

Default Casper's teeth

I just did Casper and Sophie's weekly health checks and Casper's incisors are looking weird to me? I admit that I haven't seen them in a while, as I'm not able to check them every week since Casper hates having his mouth touched (he has dental problems, though so far his incisors have always been fine). I'll email the picture to the vet tomorrow when they're open, but just wanted to double check that this is indeed not how healthy incisors should look? They look very uneven.

I just read that the way each of his incisors seems to consist of two ridges instead of the smooth, flat-looking teeth Sophie has is a sign of calcium deficiency or not having the right calcium/phosphourus ratio in his diet? Apparently another sign of that is the tooth roots being too long, and that's a problem Casper has had for years. He gets daily painkillers because some roots are growing/being pushed through his jaw. I'm really worried now. Have I been messing up his teeth by not feeding him properly...? Sophie gets the exact same diet, and her teeth are fine. He doesn't have a weird diet; he gets lots of hay and some veggies and some pellets. I'll see what the vet says tomorrow... I'm kind of freaking out, though.

Sorry I don’t know anything about the teeth. However I just wanted to say that I'm sure you've done nothing wrong! Try not to worry and see what the vet says tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

It looks as though his incisors are now effected by his pre- existing dental problems.This is likely to involve the incisor roots too. Unfortunately dental disease is often progressive.Has he had skull radiographs taken relatively recently ?

Some more information here :

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Dental_..._dentistry.pdf

https://www.vetstream.com/treat/lapi...ion-overgrowth

I used to be ‘Jack’s-Jane’ but I have been logged out of that account and I can’t get back in !

Apologies if my posts read as being blunt. Failing eyesight makes it hard to type out long messages.

I don't think you've done anything wrong with his diet! I hope you can get in contact with your vet today amd that he/she can give some good advise what to do!

Wise Old Thumper

I've no experience with this sort of issue, but I hope that you can have a good discussion about Casper's teeth with his vet today.

I've no experience of this, so cannot offer any advice, but hope vet can offer some. Sending lots of vibes for Casper xx
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Thank you for your kind words, everyone. I really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorMorse View Post
    It looks as though his incisors are now effected by his pre- existing dental problems.This is likely to involve the incisor roots too. Unfortunately dental disease is often progressive.Has he had skull radiographs taken relatively recently ?

Some more information here :

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Dental_..._dentistry.pdf

https://www.vetstream.com/treat/lapi...ion-overgrowth
    Thank you for sharing the information. I just read it all and it was very informative. He hasn't had skull radiographs taken recently, no, because he's been doing really well and hasn't needed a dental for his molars in a long time. I'll ask the vet for it, though. It'd be good to know what everything looks like these days.

One of the vets at my practice looked at the photo and says his teeth don't look abnormal, and that if he's eating well (he is) that's the most important thing, so that's a relief. I do admit I'm surprised, though, since they do look different than Sophie's teeth, but I know I can be too anxious about things, so it can be hard to judge whether I'm worried about something real.

This is an image of a Rabbit with normal incisors

I used to be ‘Jack’s-Jane’ but I have been logged out of that account and I can’t get back in !

Apologies if my posts read as being blunt. Failing eyesight makes it hard to type out long messages.