• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny with big wound

Trish72

New Kit
Hi
Last year, my 5 year old bunny underwent surgery to have a lump removed from her tummy. Unfortunately she wasn't insured and this cost me £800. I am reluctant to take her back to the vets as although she is now insured, I don't believe insurers would pay out and it's a pre-exisiting condition. So, now, she has a wound on her tummy in the same place, and it looks awful. It's been like it for a few weeks and I just don't know what to do. She lives indoors and I have stopped her from going into the garden and digging for fear it will get infected, it looks like it was getting better but I think she's biting it herself as today it is looking bad again. I know I should take her to the vets but I am afraid they will give me bad news, and I love her to bits (I know, I'm just burying my head in the sand). Has anybody come across this before and could advise what I can do please?

Hi
Last year, my 5 year old bunny underwent surgery to have a lump removed from her tummy. Unfortunately she wasn't insured and this cost me £800. I am reluctant to take her back to the vets as although she is now insured, I don't believe insurers would pay out and it's a pre-exisiting condition. So, now, she has a wound on her tummy in the same place, and it looks awful. It's been like it for a few weeks and I just don't know what to do. She lives indoors and I have stopped her from going into the garden and digging for fear it will get infected, it looks like it was getting better but I think she's biting it herself as today it is looking bad again. I know I should take her to the vets but I am afraid they will give me bad news, and I love her to bits (I know, I'm just burying my head in the sand). Has anybody come across this before and could advise what I can do please?

I am sorry but you are legally obliged to obtain Veterinary treatment for your Rabbit. Ask yourself this - can you honestly say that it is OK not to do so if you claim that you ‘love her to bits’. She relies on you 100% to do the right thing which is to get her to a Vet without further delay.

https://www.rspca.org.uk/whatwedo/endcruelty/changingthelaw/whatwechanged/animalwelfareact

Last edited:
As IM has said. There is a legal obligation.
The vats could give you an indication if its related, or independent but it sounds like its the surgical site that hasn't healed, she's high risk of sepsis (blood infection) which will lead to death so vets ASAP is a must to have a chance of saving her life.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Part of living animals is a commitment to their care.

You must take her in perhaps it won't be awful news. And if it's bad news then they can ease her suffering.

Ask someone else to take her if you cant bear it.

She cant make the choice to get treatment or seek out pain relief. You have to advocate for her!

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

I hope all goes well and it is a relatively easy fix. She needed to see the vet - it's unlikely to get better without treatment, and after all she's been through, she deserves some TLC.

Let us know how you get on.

Back