• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Jelly is being referred to another vet

Is she on any medication following the X ray? Yeah I would be concerned with those findings that the vets seem to have left you in the dark. It is a stressful time atm, where I work it's a busy road and talking to clients through the mask plus the road etc it's not good.

No medication, this is what worries me. The vet said he’s not sure and I feel like it’s just been left at that and I’m not sure what to do. I’m not good at confrontation and I know it’s a stressful time but I just want some kind of plan going forward. I really do feel like she’s just being left to die and I’m the only one trying to stop that

No medication, this is what worries me. The vet said he’s not sure and I feel like it’s just been left at that and I’m not sure what to do. I’m not good at confrontation and I know it’s a stressful time but I just want some kind of plan going forward. I really do feel like she’s just being left to die and I’m the only one trying to stop that

That's so sad.:cry:
I think that in your position I would take the referral to John Chitty. I know it is spending out more money - which obviously you may not feel able - but it just seems that you and Jelly are getting nowhere.

I did speak to John Chitty’s practice recently. I’m thinking I might try again. After being stung by insurance in the past I now don’t insure anything that I don’t legally have to which I know is a risk. I’m happy to use savings but my worry is with all that’s going on in the world my works decreased and everything is so uncertain. Also the distance, it’s not so easy to get to vets. Will he have to redo the tests that have already been done do you think? None of these things will stop me, I’m trying to ring now but the phone line is busy, they’re just worries that are going round my head

I did speak to John Chitty’s practice recently. I’m thinking I might try again. After being stung by insurance in the past I now don’t insure anything that I don’t legally have to which I know is a risk. I’m happy to use savings but my worry is with all that’s going on in the world my works decreased and everything is so uncertain. Also the distance, it’s not so easy to get to vets. Will he have to redo the tests that have already been done do you think? None of these things will stop me, I’m trying to ring now but the phone line is busy, they’re just worries that are going round my head

When Phillip was referred to John I think he redid one of the X-rays to get further clarification on something, but that might not be needed. I'm also pretty sure Anton do payment plans which might be something to ask about?

Is it your current vet asking the referral fee or Anton vets? I don't think Anton is a referral only practice is it? In which case would it be possible just to up sticks and register her at Anton, thus not being charged a referral fee and Anton getting the records. (Do they send x-rays in this instance or just the records?, urm, that might be the stumbling block!)

I really feel for you, it's an awful situation, you are doing so much and getting nowhere.

I made a mistake with the referral fee, I’ve spoken to the vets and that’s the cost of a consultation, so thats good, I thought it was that fee plus a consultation fee. They also said they can get all of Jellys notes and unless they’re unsure about anything they won’t need to redo the tests. I’ve managed to get Jelly an appointment with John Chitty for Saturday and I feel so hopeful that he might be able to help

I made a mistake with the referral fee, I’ve spoken to the vets and that’s the cost of a consultation, so thats good, I thought it was that fee plus a consultation fee. They also said they can get all of Jellys notes and unless they’re unsure about anything they won’t need to redo the tests. I’ve managed to get Jelly an appointment with John Chitty for Saturday and I feel so hopeful that he might be able to help

This is excellent, Alicia :D Well done to you. I also feel hopeful that he will be able to help and that you will really get somewhere now.

Oh I'm so pleased you get to see Uncle John. We'll all be rooting for you & Jelly. Well done on persevering through this, she is a lucky bun to have you advocating for her . You were right to trust your intuition x

It must be so stressful for you not to get the help Jelly and you deserve (and pay for!). But I'm glad you managed to get an appointment for saturday. And excellent that they don't redo the tests! I really hope you get som answears and help for Jelly on saturday:)

Hi everyone, Jelly had her appointment this morning. The new vet has not yet received the x rays from the old vet, although he has received some of the test results so he couldn’t say anything for definite but he examined her and believes she has a heart murmur and there was mention of heart disease and pneumonia too. He offered to admit her so that he could act as soon as the x ray came through (he offered this free of charge which I thought was incredible) but as I hadn’t brought Felix with me he thought it was best to take her home to be with him.

There’s a good chance she’ll be going back to the vets on Monday if the x ray has come through, until then I’ve been given some medication for her to have twice a day which should help in the meantime. I don’t know what this means for Jelly, it all sounds quite serious to me but I have so much more confidence with this vet, I already feel like he’s taking it seriously and trying to be as proactive as possible even without all the information

Hi everyone, Jelly had her appointment this morning. The new vet has not yet received the x rays from the old vet, although he has received some of the test results so he couldn’t say anything for definite but he examined her and believes she has a heart murmur and there was mention of heart disease and pneumonia too. He offered to admit her so that he could act as soon as the x ray came through (he offered this free of charge which I thought was incredible) but as I hadn’t brought Felix with me he thought it was best to take her home to be with him.

There’s a good chance she’ll be going back to the vets on Monday if the x ray has come through, until then I’ve been given some medication for her to have twice a day which should help in the meantime. I don’t know what this means for Jelly, it all sounds quite serious to me but I have so much more confidence with this vet, I already feel like he’s taking it seriously and trying to be as proactive as possible even without all the information

Confidence in your vet is so important & I'm pleased you have this at last. She has the best chance now she is in expert care. I've no experience of heart problems in bunnies but I know from here many are successfully managed. Topping up the get well wishes for Jelly

I'm sorry Jelly appears to have a heart problem, but pleased you've got some answers. I hope with the medication the condition can be managed well

I'm glad that you were impressed with the consultation. It does sound to be excellent care. Sending lots of vibes that they can help Jelly manage her issues.

So pleased that the vets visit went well, and you have confidence in them, that makes such a big difference. Sending loads of vibes that Jelly's problems can be well managed.

Back