• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Jelly is being referred to another vet

Hi everyone just a little update on Jelly. She was described sulfatrim, which I’m told is an antibiotic. She’s been having that twice a day, and is not coughing anywhere near as much and when she does it doesn’t sound as bad as it did. She’s so much more alert, excited to see me in the morning and if I sit with her she’ll try and jump on my shoulder and she runs around the sitting room. I’m still feeding her separately to Angus because he eats much faster than her

I want her to put some weight on as she’s lost quite a bit, she never finishes her bowl of pellets but she is keen to eat them when I give them to her, she does go back in the cage and eat quite a bit of hay though so I guess that’s ok? I know hay is better than pellets anyway but I thought it was a bit unusual that she wasn’t finishing her pellets. Can anyone suggest anything for weight gain? I think we’re slowly going in the right direction and she is eating more than she was

Glad to hear that there is some improvement. Giving her a pellet feed tailored to suit breeding/ growing Rabbits may help weight gain as they have a higher protein content. A limited amount of Alfalfa hay may also help, or Readigrass. Personally I would not feed things like porridge oats as the high carbohydrate content can cause cecal dysbiosis, even more likely when a Rabbit is also on oral antibiotics. Increasing protein intake is better than increasing carbs. Supplementing her feeds with this would also be worth a go
https://emeraid.com/vet/emeraid-herbivore/

I’m glad she is improving :love: as Jane has said, I’ve used junior pellets for bunnies in the past with high energy requirements.

No advice on the pellets front, but wanted to add that levoing pellets, especially when there's no danger of othe rbunnies coming for them, seems pretty normal IME. Chibbs often leaves her pellets (for Lopsy :lol: neither bunny is very smart) and goes and eats something else. Aboleth used to do it but realised Lopsy would eat them all pretty quick, so she stopped :lol: She was pretty smart :) Lopsy's 1.5yrs older than Chibbs and is often a bit skinnier, so I don't mind him getting more at the moment :)

I'm glad to hear there's been improvement. :) Waiting on results from the vet is maddening but it sounds like they're on track to help Jelly get better. I can imagine this has brought you some relief too. Hope she is feeling like her old self soon. :love: xxxx

Hi everyone so we finished Jellys medication and she seemed fine, gaining weight, eating well. Yesterday I was in the shed and I heard her cough, just once but now it’s worried me again. I’m going to clean them out this afternoon and I’ll be out there for a while so I can watch her but do you think this could be something to worry about?

If it was a one off and she is still much better within herself and eating well I would not be overly concerned. But if it is happening a lot another Vet consultation is needed. How long was the course of antibiotics ?

Well I struggled to get ahold of the vet after she was prescribed them (they were posted out) so I just kept going until I ran out which was about a month. I will keep an eye on her and take her to the vet if needed

Well I struggled to get ahold of the vet after she was prescribed them (they were posted out) so I just kept going until I ran out which was about a month. I will keep an eye on her and take her to the vet if needed

I’d keep a check on her weight too x

I'm glad to hear she is so much better :) And and I hope that she doesn't cough again! I would also contact the vet if it happens again.

Thank you everyone. She seemed fine again until the beginning of this week she kept coughing and didn’t seem right. I took her to the vet on Tuesday and she was put back on antibiotics, the vet said he was still concerned about her heart but the tests came back ok so I was going to take her back on Monday to see how she was doing then.

Yesterday she didn’t seem herself and wasn’t eating, she perked up by the afternoon but she still wasn’t eating so I took her back to the vets. She was admitted along with Felix to keep her company. They think there’s fluid around her heart. I haven’t heard anything yet this morning but I’m really worried. I didn’t think she’d be admitted at first so I just handed her over I didn’t say goodbye or anything and I keep thinking what if she’s passed away over night or something. All worst case scenario I know but my minds gone into overdrive! I’m hoping to hear this morning

Thank you everyone. She seemed fine again until the beginning of this week she kept coughing and didn’t seem right. I took her to the vet on Tuesday and she was put back on antibiotics, the vet said he was still concerned about her heart but the tests came back ok so I was going to take her back on Monday to see how she was doing then.

Yesterday she didn’t seem herself and wasn’t eating, she perked up by the afternoon but she still wasn’t eating so I took her back to the vets. She was admitted along with Felix to keep her company. They think there’s fluid around her heart. I haven’t heard anything yet this morning but I’m really worried. I didn’t think she’d be admitted at first so I just handed her over I didn’t say goodbye or anything and I keep thinking what if she’s passed away over night or something. All worst case scenario I know but my minds gone into overdrive! I’m hoping to hear this morning

I am really sorry that Jelly has deteriorated. I hope that you want have to wait too long for an update this morning x

The vet phoned, she’s a lot brighter today but they want to keep her in another night. I’m not sure what’s going on exactly but she’s in the best place and being a lot brighter is a step in the right direction!

The vet phoned, she’s a lot brighter today but they want to keep her in another night. I’m not sure what’s going on exactly but she’s in the best place and being a lot brighter is a step in the right direction!

Hopefully you will get more clarity when you speak with them again x

Back