• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Timothy Hay Co bags

Omi

Wise Old Thumper
We have now got a very large stash of these bags. Some of them get re-used e.g. for logs, storing hops etc. But we still have loads. They are very sturdy bags.

We were watching a gardening programme last night, where one of the presenters was harvesting early potatoes from 'potato bags'. I must admit I have always sort of sneered at these in the past :lol: However, we have enormous problems trying to grow potatoes in the ground because of slugs, who quite freely chomp their way through the tubers. OH suggested that next year, especially with the problems we're bound to be still experiencing with shopping for food, we re-use some of these for growing potatoes in.

Has anyone tried this? What other uses do people make of the bags?

I use them to transport hay and poop, and contents of litter trays from bunny room to tip out onto compost heap outside. They are very strong.

I grow potatoes in old compost bags - the 100 litre or more size, turned inside out with the top edge turned in, so they look nicer (even on the allotment). Plant a couple of tubers in each bag. Easy to harvest by tipping it out.

Even lazier - fill the bags with bunny cleaning out waste and fallen leaves, leave it open to the rain and allow to rot down over winter, plant directly into the bag in Spring. Make sure there is some drainage - poke a few holes in the bottom - so the potatoes don't rot.

I use old plastic compost bale bags or dry food sacks for transporting bunny or garden waste to the compost heap on the allotment. White ones are saved for bunny forage (usually from the allotment). Sometimes they get used for moving free horse manure to the allotment from a 'fill your own bag' place. Empty bags can be used as car seat / boot protectors underneath full bags which may be a bit wet and leaky in transit. When they get too tatty, they are used as bin bags. A few get donated to people who are doing building work to use as rubble bags.

Some really good re-uses of the bags mentioned by both of you :) They are really sturdy bags and it's such a shame if they don't get multiples further lives after transporting hay for bunnies.

I'd be interested in whether there's any organisations who could re use them as I have a couple and really don't want to put them in the rubbish bin! I don't know if they can be recycled?

I never know what to do with mine either.

I'm only just starting to garden and hadn't thought about using them as grow bags, might have to give it a go.

I've just ordered myself a composter and I'm looking forward to making use of all the poop!

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

I buy hay from a local supplier and utilise the Timothy Hay bags to store the other hays in. Other than that I use them for carting stuff to the tip, they last a few journeys before holes appear. They are very good tough bags

Richard

I decided to use a bag to line my boot, it's getting a bit mucky with hay and mud from walking and horse riding/general yard muck. Will see how it holds up over winter!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Storing logs, perfect for transporting hedge clippings etc in. I did wonder about offering them back to Timothy Hay?

Yes, we have stored some large logs in a few, which we wanted to keep separate. They seem to be very sturdy.

I don't think that Timothy Hay would be able to re-use them because of infection risk etc.

Yes, we have stored some large logs in a few, which we wanted to keep separate. They seem to be very sturdy.

I don't think that Timothy Hay would be able to re-use them because of infection risk etc.

Ah yes infection, sorry bleary this morning and not really thinking.

Back