• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Atticus very ill :(

I think as long as his skin isn't sore, it's probably best to leave the mess...
Yea I've checked his skin and it's fine, it's just in his fur and he hasn't groomed himself at all :(

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Every couple of hours, its two jabs every time :( previously I've had much larger syringes from my other vets for giving Clementine fluids (but I was told to give her like 20mls at a time), Idk what it is with this vets they don't seem very good with their support tbh. I should ring up and ask for larger ones, but after yesterday and the day before, I really cannot face going down there anymore,plus it's not easy when they don't want to give you the stuff. Like I asked if I can have the butterfly needles and that wasn't easy as is. My other vets is more like yea whatever you wanna use, here's a bag full [emoji38] Idk, I feel like I've let him down, as well with the catheter issues. I'm actually trying to leave him alone a bit more today, because I've been feeding him some greens and he has start to nibble more and more, so I'm hoping to ease back a bit on the fluids now anyway. I think if we weren't at this point though, I'd call them and tell them exactly what I wanted and tell them to give me it and charge me [emoji38] always an option still, but I'm seeing how he goes for now.

Still slow and little output, but he's moving around a little more, and nibbling more and more, so I'm hoping that's a good sign. He's in a right state though, he actually needs a really good bath [emoji51] obviously I won't do it, but he smells horrendous, is wet in places, ungroomed, there's some emeprid dried in his fur, I think he laid in pee.. Honestly he's so groomed normally it's hard seeing him like this, but I figured making him look presentable at this point would require a bath and his temperature is still low so I just wanna leave him alone tbh. If I can get him through this one, I'll worry about that afterwards. I'm pretty sure last year he ended up having a bath after his bad episode too [emoji51]

If you can gently warm fluids to body temp you may want to give more fluids at one time.
I would not wash him if it is for appearance/smell, esp with his low temp. Plus baths are stressful.
You are doing a wonderful job.
Sending more vibes.

If you can gently warm fluids to body temp you may want to give more fluids at one time.
I would not wash him if it is for appearance/smell, esp with his low temp. Plus baths are stressful.
You are doing a wonderful job.
Sending more vibes.

How would you warm the fluid bag up? Any tips? I don't wanna make it too hot, plus do I need to work out what temperature bunnies run at normally? I assume it's not the same as humans? Idek [emoji51] happy to do that though if it might help. Just a bit worried I could cause more harm than good [emoji51]

Yea he just looks a bit shabby and smells terrible (although some of it is gas I think [emoji38]) I'ma leave it for now. He'll groom too if he feels up to it again.

Thank you, I feel like I'm not though [emoji51]

I've managed to get him nibbling more veg and herbs, even a few bits of hay, also he just took a treat! Which is amazing progress I think. Still lacking output but the fact he's starting to gradually eat more I think is promising. I'ma see how he is tomorrow, and maybe try get him a vet appointment to be checked over etc if William thinks it'd be a good idea.

How would you warm the fluid bag up? Any tips? I don't wanna make it too hot, plus do I need to work out what temperature bunnies run at normally? I assume it's not the same as humans? Idek [emoji51] happy to do that though if it might help. Just a bit worried I could cause more harm than good [emoji51]

Yea he just looks a bit shabby and smells terrible (although some of it is gas I think [emoji38]) I'ma leave it for now. He'll groom too if he feels up to it again.

I've managed to get him nibbling more veg and herbs, even a few bits of hay, also he just took a treat! Which is amazing progress I think. Still lacking output but the fact he's starting to gradually eat more I think is promising. I'ma see how he is tomorrow, and maybe try get him a vet appointment to be checked over etc if William thinks it'd be a good idea.

You can put them into a bowl of warm water to help warm them slightly, or sit them on a warm pod.

Cant remember exactly but rabbits are around 39deg c.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

I put the bag in a bowl of hot (not boiling) water. Perhaps keeping the fluids in the snuggle safe would also work. Room temp fluids will be much cooler than Atticus's body temp so even if you only warm them to your skin temp it will be an improvement.
Eating more will encourage output. Bunny's digestive movements are encouraged by eating (much more than humans) so even a treat can help move things along.
Him taking hay and a treat is encouraging.
I have a stethoscope, yet I am not very good at listening to gut sounds, so I normally need to take the bunny to a vet to have the vet listen to the bunny tummy. You may be able to do it yourself.

Okay so the relentless diarrhoea has begun [emoji51] I obviously couldn't speak to the vet at this time, but I've decided to not give anymore lactulose (I'm pretty sure last time as soon as the mad diarrhoea started we stopped it) I've also halved his emeprid dose to the normal emeprid dose for his weight, but still given both painkillers. I've got a range for the loxicom dose which William is happy for me to go with what I think, I've kept it the same because he seems uncomfortable when he's going so much etc, so I don't want to reduce it yet, but it's not as high at it could be. I hope I've made the right call tbh. Also he's eating a lot more herbs, lots of watercress and more hay has been nommed, I'm hoping with easing off the gut meds a bit and eating hay we can start to try to get the diarrhoea under control. Just a bit worried about dehydration now, but at least there's the wet veg, I haven't given any fluids for a few hours, mainly because he's going so much :( gunna see how he is in the morning and ring my vet for advice.

William trusts you , so trust yourself. It one of his pain meds helps inflammation you may want to cut the other first.
Now that his system is moving quickly you are right to reduce motility meds
Good luck

William trusts you , so trust yourself. It one of his pain meds helps inflammation you may want to cut the other first.
Now that his system is moving quickly you are right to reduce motility meds
Good luck
Thanks :) he's started grooming! Plus eating a fair bit :) also drinking so I think I'ma stop fluids now too :D he's such a tough bunny

Well done Atticus [emoji173][emoji173][emoji173]

Glad to read he's eating a bit more now and starting to groom himself again. He must have been galvanised by his own pong!
Probably! Evelyn pulled a face when we entered the room he's in earlier [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38] honestly Atticus can make such a smell [emoji51]

He's much more himself though [emoji7]

Spoke to William about adjusting his meds, so doing that too, and just hoping things continue /settle down for him. His tail is so wet bless him :( I cannot wait to give him a butt bath [emoji51]

Back