• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Atticus very ill :(

Graciee

Staff member
Lump in his gut again, he's extremely ill. I don't like our chances this time tbh :( this picture says it all really, his poor stomach :( his blood glucose level isn't that high though.. But that worries me also based on how he's presenting.

Any vibes really appreciated x
2b618acac92de64ed103ac15dd0597f6.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Oh, no, Poor Atticus... So many vibes for him. I really hope things will look better for him once treatment has had some time to work. =(

Sending millions and millions of vibes for beautiful Atticus. I hope that you can get him seen by the vet quickly and some diagnoses and treatment in place.
Craig, Lillian and Leo xx

Thanks everyone :(

The vet wasn't confident doing an ear catheter, so I've gotta do sq fluids :( nervous, it's been a while and I've only done them on Clementine lots, Atticus is so skinny, anyone got any tips? :( I've asked for the teeny butterfly needles, so that's something I prefer them for sq fluids. I hope I can do it :(

Also Jane, do you know what the lactulose dose should be? He's 3kg,theyve said 1ml every 12 hours, I can't remember his dose last time, didn't know if you knew what it should be (I'd just like to check, Idk who worked it out, they've been speaking to William but yea the vet he saw didn't know what to do really)

Thanks everyone :(

The vet wasn't confident doing an ear catheter, so I've gotta do sq fluids :( nervous, it's been a while and I've only done them on Clementine lots, Atticus is so skinny, anyone got any tips? :( I've asked for the teeny butterfly needles, so that's something I prefer them for sq fluids. I hope I can do it :(

Also Jane, do you know what the lactulose dose should be? He's 3kg,theyve said 1ml every 12 hours, I can't remember his dose last time, didn't know if you knew what it should be (I'd just like to check, Idk who worked it out, they've been speaking to William but yea the vet he saw didn't know what to do really)

I have not used Lactulose for ages and I can’t remember the dose. The last Exotics Vet I consulted at The Beaumont Sainsbury was very, very anti it’s use at all when we were trying to save Elsa. So I am reluctant to offer dosing advice as I am not sure .

I have not used Lactulose for ages and I can’t remember the dose. The last Exotics Vet I consulted at The Beaumont Sainsbury was very, very anti it’s use at all when we were trying to save Elsa. So I am reluctant to offer dosing advice as I am not sure .

Oh really? Do you know why?

We're going with it, I'm pretty sure it's what saved him this time last year. We'll see, we've only got emeprid, no cisapride and no tramadol as they didn't have any :/ got loxicom but he prescribed a really low dose.. Took an xray.. But couldn't really say anything about it.. And wasn't happy to put an ear catheter in, and gave me one needle for fluids... £220 well spent.. [emoji849] Hoping William can look at the xray tomorrow etc but honestly I hate that rabbits come under exotics [emoji21]

Oh really? Do you know why?

We're going with it, I'm pretty sure it's what saved him this time last year. We'll see, we've only got emeprid, no cisapride and no tramadol as they didn't have any :/ got loxicom but he prescribed a really low dose.. Took an xray.. But couldn't really say anything about it.. And wasn't happy to put an ear catheter in, and gave me one needle for fluids... £220 well spent.. [emoji849] Hoping William can look at the xray tomorrow etc but honestly I hate that rabbits come under exotics [emoji21]

The Exotics Vet believed that Lactulose would cause enterotoxaemia as it is so full of sugars. That said I am certain that it saved the life of one of my previous Rabbits when he had an impacted caecum.

I'm so sorry to see this :( Sending loads of vibes for your gorgeous boy and also lots of hugs for you.

So very sorry to hear :( :(
Lots and tons of vibes for your beautiful boy and buckets of hugs to you [emoji173][emoji173]

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone, he's not eaten now in over 24 hours, or passed anything, he's still peeing though. He's constantly shifting around and belly pressing, Idk what to do for him :( I'm just so sad and worried :(

Back