• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Atticus very ill :(

Aw, poor Atticus. Good to see he's still producing but ouch! That's going to be one sore bunny bum. :(

It's really so hard to look after oneself with so many things going wrong at once. I hope you're feeling better too, Graciee. Any rest you can grab be sure to get that for yourself. (((((Hugs))))) I really hope things start improving more for all of you. xxxxx

The green butterfly should be a 21g :)

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
Yep you're right! I haven't got any, but a year back I was given some orange ones I think.. For Clementine which were smaller iirc, any idea what size they were, because I think I'll order some of them too :)

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Yep you're right! I haven't got any, but a year back I was given some orange ones I think.. For Clementine which were smaller iirc, any idea what size they were, because I think I'll order some of them too :)

Orange are 25g

Aw, poor Atticus. Good to see he's still producing but ouch! That's going to be one sore bunny bum. :(

It's really so hard to look after oneself with so many things going wrong at once. I hope you're feeling better too, Graciee. Any rest you can grab be sure to get that for yourself. (((((Hugs))))) I really hope things start improving more for all of you. xxxxx
Yea :( he's slowed down again and is very quiet, no eating :( I'm just continuing the meds and fluids atm, hoping there's an improvement

There is one in the middle, blue 23g.

Ah thanks, they can all be used for sub cut can't they? I have pink normal needs that are huge for drawing it up into the syringe, they're scary ones [emoji38]

Ah thanks, they can all be used for sub cut can't they? I have pink normal needs that are huge for drawing it up into the syringe, they're scary ones [emoji38]

Yeah. Pink are scary.

Blue is the usual for subcut.
Orange is normally for intramuscular but can be used for blood samples, IV injections, small amounts of subcut injections. (Intramuscular is usually for normal needles)

Green is used for subcut when it comes to large volume of liquid, or a thick liquid.

Yeah. Pink are scary.

Blue is the usual for subcut.
Orange is normally for intramuscular but can be used for blood samples, IV injections, small amounts of subcut injections. (Intramuscular is usually for normal needles)

Green is used for subcut when it comes to large volume of liquid, or a thick liquid.

Ah I've never had blue! I've only got green for Atticus atm, you reckon that's okay? I've only got 5ml syringes so I'm just doing two each time. Previously for Clementine I've used orange with a 20ml syringe :S this is all just what I was given at the time from the vets obviously, I have no idea about any of this [emoji38]

Ah I've never had blue! I've only got green for Atticus atm, you reckon that's okay? I've only got 5ml syringes so I'm just doing two each time. Previously for Clementine I've used orange with a 20ml syringe :S this is all just what I was given at the time from the vets obviously, I have no idea about any of this [emoji38]

If he copes well with green you can continue with that but if its only 5ml syringes you could go with the blue. See how he copes and see how you get on. You might just find you have to give it a little slower.

You are awesome. I am glad Evelyn had a better night and you got a small amount of sleep. Sending more vibes for Atticus and you. Did you syringe feed any recovery food or water into Atticus? He may not sit on the snuggle safe, yet would you be able to put it or a hot water bottle below his empty litterbox so he could still benefit from the heat?
Sending you lots of vibes.

I'm so sorry Atticus isn't well:(
I hope he feels better soon.
A lot of vibes for him!
And don't forget to eat and get some sleep yourself!

I hope Atticus has a better night. With stuff coming out now & a bit of nibbling I would syringe feed - hopefully it will stimulate his appetite to eat for himself xx

I am not sure how often you are giving the sub Q, so just a reminder. You be able to give more than 10ml at a time with sub Q, so do not have to jab him as often and then he will absorb it over a few hours, unlike IV. I cannot believe they only gave you a 5ml syringe to inject fluids, no wonder you have to give him so many jabs. I do sub Q by hanging the bag with a set-up and needle. Measuring using the marks on the bag is not as accurate as using a syringe, yet sufficient for sub Q fluids.

I hope you and Evelyn are feeling better today. Sending more vibes for Atticus too.

I am not sure how often you are giving the sub Q, so just a reminder. You be able to give more than 10ml at a time with sub Q, so do not have to jab him as often and then he will absorb it over a few hours, unlike IV. I cannot believe they only gave you a 5ml syringe to inject fluids, no wonder you have to give him so many jabs. I do sub Q by hanging the bag with a set-up and needle. Measuring using the marks on the bag is not as accurate as using a syringe, yet sufficient for sub Q fluids.

I hope you and Evelyn are feeling better today. Sending more vibes for Atticus too.

Every couple of hours, its two jabs every time :( previously I've had much larger syringes from my other vets for giving Clementine fluids (but I was told to give her like 20mls at a time), Idk what it is with this vets they don't seem very good with their support tbh. I should ring up and ask for larger ones, but after yesterday and the day before, I really cannot face going down there anymore,plus it's not easy when they don't want to give you the stuff. Like I asked if I can have the butterfly needles and that wasn't easy as is. My other vets is more like yea whatever you wanna use, here's a bag full [emoji38] Idk, I feel like I've let him down, as well with the catheter issues. I'm actually trying to leave him alone a bit more today, because I've been feeding him some greens and he has start to nibble more and more, so I'm hoping to ease back a bit on the fluids now anyway. I think if we weren't at this point though, I'd call them and tell them exactly what I wanted and tell them to give me it and charge me [emoji38] always an option still, but I'm seeing how he goes for now.

Still slow and little output, but he's moving around a little more, and nibbling more and more, so I'm hoping that's a good sign. He's in a right state though, he actually needs a really good bath [emoji51] obviously I won't do it, but he smells horrendous, is wet in places, ungroomed, there's some emeprid dried in his fur, I think he laid in pee.. Honestly he's so groomed normally it's hard seeing him like this, but I figured making him look presentable at this point would require a bath and his temperature is still low so I just wanna leave him alone tbh. If I can get him through this one, I'll worry about that afterwards. I'm pretty sure last year he ended up having a bath after his bad episode too [emoji51]

Aaaw poor Atticus. Do you think his lack of grooming is bothering him or is he too poorly to care? Just wondered if some wet wipes might help a bit in the short-term. I know I am
anthropomorphising but I know how much better I feel when I am ill if I clean my teeth or wash my face - not that I am suggesting you clean his teeth!!!

Topping up the vibes.

Aaaw poor Atticus. Do you think his lack of grooming is bothering him or is he too poorly to care? Just wondered if some wet wipes might help a bit in the short-term. I know I am
anthropomorphising but I know how much better I feel when I am ill if I clean my teeth or wash my face - not that I am suggesting you clean his teeth!!!

Topping up the vibes.

Tbh I think he's too ill to care, he was like this last time, got in a right state :(

Idk honestly! I've been thinking about it a lot, I can't work out if cleaning him up would make him feel better or if leaving him alone would be more normal and relaxing for him.. I'm conscious that he's more chilled when I'm just there giving him veg/herbs and he's left to lay down how he wants, than when I'm having to give him meds etc. Having a bath would probably be a bit like having meds, then he'd have to dry off etc. I thought about wiping him, but I don't think it would do anything honestly [emoji51]

If anyone has any thoughts on this I'd love to hear them! :)

Back