• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vaccinations whilst on antibiotics

mismatchbunnies

Warren Scout
My two house rabbits have been on antibiotics for nearing 6 months now due to suffering from snuffles which we believe is likely chronic now. One is on 0.67 baytril and the other 0.55 sulfatrim, both twice daily. The problem we have now got is that they are both due for vaccinations but my vet has said that in order for the vaccinations to be effective, they really need to be off antibiotics for 2 days before and a few days after the vaccinations for it to have the best chance of working. But I am concerned that there are risks with taking them off medication in the first place. I completely understand that vaccinations are so important and that even house rabbits can be at risk to the diseases through hay etc. but at the same time I am very worried that if I take them off the medication they could develop resistance to the antibiotics, but more importantly just decline in general. My boy rabbit particularly still shows flare ups and goes through phases of sneezing less and more, as well as having a few eye infections which we believe are related to the pasturellla. Neither of their chest’s are completely clear either, although my girl is currently on diuretics which have shown improvement. They are both on meloxicom, bisolvon and have a nebuliser twice a day so we really are coming at it from all angles but I just really don’t know what to do. They are both happy in themselves despite the boy’s sneezing: active and eating etc. I’m going to talk to my vet on Tuesday hopefully but I’d like to get some opinions on here if possible. Would you vaccinate them now? Are the risks on both sides as big as I’m making them?

If you trust your Vet then I would follow his/her advice. All vaccination data sheets state that the vaccine should only be given to healthy Rabbits but in some cases the professional opinion of the Vet treating a specific Rabbit will be that it is appropriate to vaccinate a Rabbit with a chronic illness.

Back