• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Housing on concrete.. grass or bit of both??

BunnyMomx2

Young Bun
So now I know its early days for my trio but after a 2nd successful night and them all waiting to greet me this morning now I'm thinking housing.

So I can't get a shed/aviary enclosure until next year it just isn't possible.

So we need to make the best of what I got which is a 6ft hutch and 6ft run and another 5ft hutch and they always get to free roam when I'm home.. which is all the time because I'm studying from home lol.

my back is fairly waterlogged now and see the photo is the area they usually get the hutch is on bark the enclosed attached run is on concrete the other hutch under the window is on concrete (no longer in use until its attached at the weekend) then they have a bit of concrete and also the grass/bark area for free roaming i literally just open them up every morning (this morning being the exception because it really is belting down)

Now the area they get for free roaming gets fairly waterlogged when we have this much rain so then even when it stops and I let them out it seems wet for a long time which means mud and a lot of mess. I have a long driveway that extends down the side of our house to the back garden and I was thinking of moving and setting everything up there as its on concrete.

The pros- full on concrete so no real issue if its rained bad they can still get access to grass too.

The cons I won't be able to see them from the window. And no outside light on them.

Any suggestions? Any advice??

My neighbours keep saying it doesn't matter they don't care about the mess lol [emoji38]
And I know it won't rain forever... she says eh.!

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Forgot to add photo
a4cf79189f4de575fadbc5f80f009ad5.jpg

My bunnies live outside and the whole of their accommodation is on concrete/concrete slabs. They have a shed with a cat flap into different run areas. We chose this for several reasons. The two most important reasons are that it keeps them warm and dry, plus it is predator proof. I can see them from the kitchen though, in about half of the run area.

As you are looking for a fairly temporary fix as you intend to change it completely next year, personally I would concentrate on the 'warm and dry' and 'predator proof'. Just to say also your run does not look as though it would deter any predators. To achieve that you would need sturdy weld-mesh on the sides and top. Plus, if it is on grass, then be aware that foxes can dig underneath.

That run you can see is just to give them free roaming area they aren't allowed in it all the time.. only when I'm home the run is under the tarpaulin which is completely secure and weather proofed.

Ours are on conrete 24/7 with a bigger supervised-only runaround area on grass, like yours is (open topped puppy pen panels). They've been happy with this arrangement so far, but they sometimes sit by the lawn entrance all day if they think we might let them out :roll: :lol:

Back