• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do I attempt to get him a friend?

Bojangles

Young Bun
I’m wandering if anyone could be able to offer me some advice. I currently have a 6 year old dwarf lop cross who has been on his own for 2 years. He was previously bonded with a female who sadly passed away. It was a very easy bond and he was lovely with her. I haven’t been able to bond him after due to him having suspected with E.C and having dental problems which have required operations. He is also prone to stasis. He is finally a lot better but he is very sensitive. I would love to find him another older bunny friend however I am worried that bonding could stress him out and bring out his health problems. His E.C has been kept under control and no longer has a head tilt. I would be very interested in adopting a an older female for him however I don’t want the stress of bonding to make him ill again. He is neutered. Any advice would be appreciated

Generally rabbits prefer company but I understand your reservations with his health concerns. I suppose you'd also have to consider what you would do if the bond didn't work or was too stressful for him. No specific advice but bumping this for you, hopefully someone with more knowledge than me can come along with some helpful words!

I'd definitely try to bond him now that he is in a good place with his physical health. My vets alway recommended a 10 day panacur course (starting the day before bonding commences) for both bunnies so you might want to discuss this with your vet. I hope you can find him a nice gentle wife bun

It's definitely worth giving it a go. His quality of life would be better with a bunny companion.
Treating both with Panacur at the same time is worth considering as it may reduce the EC loading at a key time of stress (during bonding) when it is more likely to cause an issue - ask your vet about it.

I'd definitely try to bond him now that he is in a good place with his physical health. My vets alway recommended a 10 day panacur course (starting the day before bonding commences) for both bunnies so you might want to discuss this with your vet. I hope you can find him a nice gentle wife bun

I agree with this advice. I think I would try contacting some rescues to see what suitable does they have. They should have a good idea of the characters of their rescue bunnies.

I can certainly understand your concern, but I do think it's worth a try.

Thank you for all your replies! I’m going to keep my eye out for a lovely senior female! At the vets with Bojangles in the morning so will see how his health is coming on

Back