• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Before you think about Bonding a Trio - My experience

Being on Instagram and some communities, I have seen how popular Trio's are becoming....and its not hard to see why. Its a cute thought right? 3 twitchy noses in a little line and seeing them all snuggle.....not to mention the excitement of getting another bunny :lol:

I just wanted to put the realistic light on this, as i had those very thoughts above and have been through hell and back putting a trio together. So much so that I will be going through a legal action with someone who was supposed to be helping me with the process.

I originally had Mylo and Myrtle who had been bonded about a year, then I got Summer. All buns I natured so that was the first huge expense. Then after about 6 - 7 weeks after the newest bunny, Summer, spay I proceeded with the bonding - this was during Lockdown. As always I start in the bathtub (with me sat in there with them!) and at first it was going well. But then on the second date the fights where very bad. Fully locked onto the point where you as the owner didn't think about your own safety - you just wanted to get them parted and darn quick. Even stress bonding, box binding failed and led to extremely violent fights. This was mostly between Mylo (the paired up male) and Summer (the new female).

After only 4 bunny dates, I decided that I could not do this on my own, so I waited until after lockdown to take them to someone who could help me. Otherwise I would have to rehome Summer as I can't keep two pet pen in my front lounge. Not mentioning names, I took them to one bonder in Surrey where they stayed for two weeks. Unlike how I had asked, I got no updated on their progress in terms of videos or photos so i had no idea how they got on or what happened - and the feedback wasn't good. They just wasn't suitable. Mylo was defending his lady Myrle, and Summer was very dominant and wanted to be in charge. So after paying the sum of £720, I still came home with two pet carriers - not the trio I had dreamed of. I felt heartbroken as I had bonded with Summer and didn't want to rehome her. The bonder made it clear that she wanted summer however, so finding that a little strange and having no idea how hard she actually tried to bond them - I proceeded to look for someone else to help me.

I approached the lady that bred my Lionhead Myrtle, and she said she would give it a try with the understanding that I would have to rehome summer if it didn't work. Thinking this would be a good in terms of a second opinion, and the last chance. I gave them a few weeks rest and divided their pen with a buffer in the middle, as they was still pretty much trying to fight through the bars at this point. In September I took them to the new bonder, and from the first hour they arrived she started and was sending me regular updates. This would be 5 - 10 minute videos with commentary of what she was doing and why. This would be daily, so a really good way for me to see not only what was going on but the effort she put in! It was a very hard bond and she never gave up - it took a lot of creative methods (including smearing banana on their heads!). In the end she had to bond the problem pair (Mylo and Summer) and then bond Myrtle with Summer, then fuse them all together as a trio last.

I now have a lovely trio that are completely in love. So never give up on your tricky bonds!

However I just wanted to highlight not only the effort needed to do this – but the money. In total I have spent over a thousand pounds on getting my 3 together. I am going through legal action to get a refund back from the first bonder as its clear that she didn’t put the effort in that I had paid for.
Also Trios are not always as cute as you think. Mine still sit separately, or ill get two together and one on their own….its not always how you think its going to be. Just more money and mess!

You can see their bonding video journal here: https://www.instagram.com/stories/highlights/17902013281556948/?hl=en

The Trio: https://www.instagram.com/stories/highlights/17904020308530839/?hl=en

Instagram: finn.the.mini.lop.bun

Pro Bonder: https://www.facebook.com/lopsonthehilluk

The problem pair - Mylo and Summer

The 3 of them - First session

The three of them now settled together

The Girls!

Myrtle

Summer

Mylo

Last edited:
That sounds stressful... [emoji51]

Would you mind pm'ing me who the bonder was? It's just I'm looking for someone to bond my two rexes currently and I'd hate to end up in that situation [emoji51]

Your bunnies are lovely though and I'm glad it has all worked out eventually for them :)

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

That sounds stressful... [emoji51]

Would you mind pm'ing me who the bonder was? It's just I'm looking for someone to bond my two rexes currently and I'd hate to end up in that situation [emoji51]

Your bunnies are lovely though and I'm glad it has all worked out eventually for them :)

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Hi Graciee - of course!

Her name is Eleanor.
Lops on the Hill: https://www.facebook.com/lopsonthehilluk

:)

Back