• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Separation

glitterdust

Warren Scout
I have bonded Jimmy with a lovely baby girl who we have named dolly. Instant love ,instant attraction and so much respect for each other. This happened Friday ,immediatly after my beloved Norah had to leave us. Jimmy had to go for a dental on Monday , so little dolly went with him and the vets rang and said they could spay dolly at the same time.
I agreed and Recovery has been amazing, even for my Jimmy which is unusual, dolly recovered extremely quick but obviously because she has stitches she needs to be careful.
Jimmy is an outdoor bun through and through and I currently have them inside to keep her safe.. Jimmy is miserable, really really miserable and I feel guilty as he has dentals every 4/6 weeks and sometimes it takes him 3 days to recover so obviously i want him to be happy and live his best life inbetween. I let him out in the garden last night and he was skipping and just so happy but he kept going back In his shed and acted like a brat when I brought him back inside.
How can i keep dolly safe,them bonded and jimmy happy. Obviously they are newly bonded so it's important I don't ruin this..
Even our vet said it was strange seeing Jimmy with another rabbit and not norah.
I cried at the vets again when I went to pick them up. My heart still hurts for norah. That little bunny really changed my life, so I haven't just lost a pet I lost a guardian angel and watching Jimmy move on is so emotional for so many reasons. I'm so pleased for him as these little angels don't live long enough to spend any time alone but it's hard for me to move forwards so soon.
Any advice please
Thank you

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Did the Vet say to keep Dolly indoors for some time ? Usually it is only necessary to do so for the first 24 hours. If recovery is going well and the usual outdoor accommodation is well insulated then it is usually OK for the Doe to go back to her usual accommodation. Some temporary adjustments may be needed to make sure that she cannot jump up onto high levels. A flat floor space is best.

Did the Vet say to keep Dolly indoors for some time ? Usually it is only necessary to do so for the first 24 hours. If recovery is going well and the usual outdoor accommodation is well insulated then it is usually OK for the Doe to go back to her usual accommodation. Some temporary adjustments may be needed to make sure that she cannot jump up onto high levels. A flat floor space is best.
The shed is 3 floors and she's only little. Jimmy stays on the top looking out the window, when she was on the top floor with him on Sunday she didn't move from there all day, I had to lift Her up and down. The vets said to check wound after 3 days and if ok she can go back out with him but The set up isn't great for a tiny Bunny with stitches, there are alot of jumps and steps, even to get outside it's jumps and steps.i could leave the main door open of the shed but it will be cold and I worry about the flies, even though lavender tends to keep them away..

I remember you helped me 3 years ago when Norah got spade. [emoji4] xxx

Can you set up a pen inside the shed for Dolly so she can be near him? It isn't very cold at the moment and it will only be for a few more days then she should be healed enough to act normally. I am really pleased you have found a lovely new friend.

I had a similar issue with Tui when she was spayed. I think it was around May, so a bit warmer than now but not much. Both my pair live outdoors and I didn't change that after her spay. Tui was desperate after a couple of days to be allowed more exercise. I had restricted them to the shed. But the vet said the same i.e. wait until after the 3 days check, so I did.

Have you checked her wound? Tui's looked quite well healed after the 3 days and so I wasn't at all concerned about flies. When she was allowed out, she did move around quite a lot with no problems.

I would continue as you are doing tbh. I guess her check-up is tomorrow, so it's only one more day. I would keep them inside until then, but allow Jimmy out for a few short periods.

Sending you hugs.

Can you set up a pen inside the shed for Dolly so she can be near him? It isn't very cold at the moment and it will only be for a few more days then she should be healed enough to act normally. I am really pleased you have found a lovely new friend.
Yes i can keep her on the bottom floor but Jimmy never stays there , he never has, the higher up this boy is the more happy he is.[emoji4] He is either up high or outside, he's very particular of alot of things but clearly not his women , as one leaves him another moves in [emoji4].
Joking aside, it would be better if I could keep her on the top floor. I'm gonna have to try to sort something out.
She really isn't hurting at all. She's acting as if nothing's happened which in a way isn't ideal to be in the shed. She's jumping around Now as I type this while Jimmy is sitting with a face like thunder.. He always looks miffed even when he's happy[emoji4]

I had a similar issue with Tui when she was spayed. I think it was around May, so a bit warmer than now but not much. Both my pair live outdoors and I didn't change that after her spay. Tui was desperate after a couple of days to be allowed more exercise. I had restricted them to the shed. But the vet said the same i.e. wait until after the 3 days check, so I did.

Have you checked her wound? Tui's looked quite well healed after the 3 days and so I wasn't at all concerned about flies. When she was allowed out, she did move around quite a lot with no problems.

I would continue as you are doing tbh. I guess her check-up is tomorrow, so it's only one more day. I would keep them inside until then, but allow Jimmy out for a few short periods.

Sending you hugs.
Her wound is fine , I mean if I had that i would be laid up in bed but she is unaware of anything.. I will wait until tomorrow and keep getting the I'm gonna kill you look off Jimmy.
What I'm struggling with is giving her Her pain killers. I am so used with Lops and know exactly where to put the syringe, with pointy faces I can't find it [emoji1787]

Is it possible to keep them to one floor of the outdoor accommodation ? I remember last time I had anybun spayed I had to block off tunnels and ramps for a while until they’d been given the all clear.

Is it possible to keep them to one floor of the outdoor accommodation ? I remember last time I had anybun spayed I had to block off tunnels and ramps for a while until they’d been given the all clear.
I think that's what I'm going to try and do. There has to be a way [emoji4]xxxx

Back