• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help Please - What Breed are my boys? Dwarf or Mini Lop? (or something else?!)

rachaelp88

New Kit
Hello

I have recently adopted two brothers from a rescue and I am unsure if they are mini lops or dwarf lops?
I was confused as American sites also call one breed a holland lop and now Im so confused!
Images are below....

Any help would be much appreciated :) what are the key differences between the two breeds?
Want to make sure my insurance docs are correct!

e.jpg

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

V cute.

I would put them down as mixed breed / lop. As they are from a rescue, it's unlikely they are a specific single breed. Mixed breeds my even be cheaper to insure (it is for dogs, anyway)

There are very specific standards for purebred animals, shape of head, body type,bone structure,proportions,markings,toenail color,placement of features and ears, weight. Many are mixed breeds. Yours look like a mix though leaning toward mini lop.

I'm not sure, but just wanted to say they are gorgeous ! Beautiful colours :) hope they are settling in well.

Its a size difference.

Dwarf lop is bigger than mini lops. Dwarfs tend to have a more pointed face, although still flatter than a "normal" rabbit.

I have one dwarf & one mini for comparison.

I'd lean more towards yours being mini lops if they're adults. (Average weight of a mini lops is under 3kgs)
4208d5fbe4469fd709837715c1e4670f.jpg

A Holland lop is even smaller than a mini lop and not really found in the UK.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hi all

This has been really helpful so thanks a lot (and thanks for adorable bunny pictures!), I'm definitely thinking more mini lop. We're off to vets this week so will get their input too and make sure they are insured under right details.

xx

Back