• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Food intake and exercise

Bhavani

Young Bun
Hello folks,

My lovely Cream is enjoying life to the brim, with a large shed, run and enclosed lawn area to herself for much of the day. However, I have a slight doubt that I was hoping you could share your thoughts on. Cream eats relentlessly! When she is out on the lawn, she will chew ceaselessly on the grass, any raspberry/mint leaf cuttings we give her, etc. When she is in her box, she will continue muching hay. I know that rabbits need to eat pretty constantly, but it still makes me think whether she is eating too much! Also, exercise - when she gets to go to the lawn and will binky or dash around now and then, but mostly takes it easy, sitting around or hopping gently. So I wonder if she gets enough exercise, and whether I should be trying something else to get her to exercise.

Trying to avoid an obese, even if content, rabbit! Grateful for any advice.

Bhavani

JSdfKbP

I don't think Rabbits can eat too much grass or hay. She is very lucky to have access to so much grass. How old is Cream and do you also give her Rabbit Nuggets?

I agree with tonibun that bunnies can't eat too much grass and hay. In fact, the more the better as it will keep her teeth trim and will be really good for her tummy. The real danger for obesity in rabbits is pellets. So if you're concerned that Cream might be putting on too much weight then that should be the first thing to look at reducing.

In regards to exercise, as long as she has plenty of space to run around then she will be getting as much exercise as she feels she needs. In fact, one of my buns is spectacularly lazy but has always maintained exactly the same weight in the five years I've had him.

Thank you all, reassuring to know that there is no such thing as too much grass and hay!

Tonibun: Cream is around 4 years old, although she has been with us only for a couple of months having arrived from the RSPCA. We give her limited nuggets/pellets (science selective) - a handful, about a dozen individual nuggets/pellets a day. Will keep a close eye of that ration.

Scrappy's LH: Ok, that's good to know - Cream is lazy until there's food involved, upon which she closely resembles Usain Bolt.

Cream is lazy until there's food involved, upon which she closely resembles Usain Bolt.
Sounds like Lopsy XD He'll have these mad half hours where he must be really thinking about food because he's everywhere, eating everything, and if you go outside with food (anytime TBH) he's all up in your face :lol: Otherwise he's asleep, or cleaning.

Thank you all, reassuring to know that there is no such thing as too much grass and hay!

Tonibun: Cream is around 4 years old, although she has been with us only for a couple of months having arrived from the RSPCA. We give her limited nuggets/pellets (science selective) - a handful, about a dozen individual nuggets/pellets a day. Will keep a close eye of that ration.

Scrappy's LH: Ok, that's good to know - Cream is lazy until there's food involved, upon which she closely resembles Usain Bolt.

just to add, it's great she eats a lot of hay & grass, if you keep an eye on her if she stops eating (for more than a few hours) then that likely indicates a health problem.

Back