• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do buns drink more with certain hays?

Mervinius

Mama Doe
Archie and Pip normally eat ings hay and quite a lot of it! However for the past few weeks we've been giving them Timothy hay as an additional treat. They are drinking lots more water. They normally drink just over half a mason and cash bowl a day between the two of them even in the middle of summer. Now they are drinking a whole bowl!

Yesterday they got a very special treat from hop to forage and they munched through an enormous pile of Timothy hay. I didn't notice bun they completed licked the water bowl dry!!!! I felt awful, but luckily they seem ok.

So question is, are some hays drier, which would make them drink more?

Pip has got dental issues and I did notice her drinking more when she needs to get burred, but she's just recently had that done. So all good in that respect.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Our hay is different this year, maybe because it only grew to half the length it would normally grow, as not enough rain fell. I am wondering if this also makes it richer.

Our hay is different this year, maybe because it only grew to half the length it would normally grow, as not enough rain fell. I am wondering if this also makes it richer.
Oh maybe. Im sure grieing conditions would affect the nutrition of hay. I know my buns have refused to eat new batches of normally favourite hays

Could it be that in addition to changing them to Timothy hay, they have also had less fresh forage? My bunnies always drink more if they are eating more hay and less fresh food. So possibly it's just they they are eating more hay, rather than it being anything to do with it being Timothy.

Could it be that in addition to changing them to Timothy hay, they have also had less fresh forage? My bunnies always drink more if they are eating more hay and less fresh food. So possibly it's just they they are eating more hay, rather than it being anything to do with it being Timothy.
That would make sense, except my buns only have a dry diet. So they dont get any water elsewhere?

I don't see why different hay wouldn't have different waste content TBH, and therefore make them drink more, because they taste different (or whatever reason buns prefer X over Y XD). But I'd keep an eye on it :)

Back