• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding

glitterdust

Warren Scout
My Norah went back to the angels on Friday, my heart has broken. She had to be PTS at the vets , I didn't expect it and I had to bring her back home so her husband could say goodbye to her, . It was the most traumatic thing I have ever had to do.
As I left them to say goodbye a white feather fell and landed in front of me, I knew instantly my boy needed a Companian as he has alot of dentals and vets visits and Norah was his support. My heart was not ready to replace her, but I thought i should get him a friend asap as I know bonding can take a while and I wanted him happy as the thought of him one on his next vets visit crucified me.
So, I found a little lady for him , 5 months old, unwanted, unneuteted and to be honest it was quite shocking what I witnessed when I went to pick her up, but I don't judge people, and she is going to be fine with me.
Anyway I kept them separate at first but they could see each other and his little eyes lit up. She is booked in for her spay in a week's time and I thought I should maybe start to bond them, So, I brought them both inside and immediately they got along. Infact they haven't went back outside yet and it's been 48 hours , they have been together inside , my daughter and I are taking turns to watch them. No pulling, mounting, chasing, just sharing snuggling and love. So my question is what do I do now.
Can they be housed together in the shed, are they bonded? I'm waiting for something negative to happen but it's all love , My daughter is devastated that he has moved on so quickly but I'm so pleased for him. It is me that cry's everytime I go in the shed, I look around and Norah is everywhere. I nursed her back to health and tried so hard to keep her here ,but In the end she got bloat and because of all her other issues she didnt recover, so I had to let her go. [emoji22].
How do i get Jimmy and his new friend into the shed together safely without breaking this weird but beautiful bond. I didn't expect such a quick turnaround.[emoji50] I really don't think separating them now is a good idea. Any advice please.
Thank you for this group, over the years it has been my saviour[emoji4].

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'm so sad that you had to say goodbye to Norah :cry:

Tbh your experience with your current bonding sounds very similar to my experience. I bonded a 3 month old unspayed doe with an elderly neutered buck in his territory outside with no real issues and certainly no aggression. I think there are possibly two reasons for this. One that the doe in both cases has not reached puberty and two that does are more territorial than bucks. Added to this are things like the buck's character and their desire to have a companion of their own kind.

If I were you I would consider them bonded, but with fingers crossed behind my back :) If you were feeling impatient, you could put them out into the shed today and be prepared to watch very carefully. However, I think I would give it another day or two inside and then try.

I would actually have quarantined the new rabbit before introducing them. I presume the doe is vaccinated?

I am sorry you lost Norah. My advice would be to cancel the spay, get new bunny vaccinated and continue with the bond. When they are well bonded then you can have her spayed and everything should be ok. She will have her partner waiting when she comes home from her op to comfort her. They may have to come indoors for a few days after her spay so you can monitor her. I really hope everything works out well for your Bunnies.

I'm so sad that you had to say goodbye to Norah :cry:

Tbh your experience with your current bonding sounds very similar to my experience. I bonded a 3 month old unspayed doe with an elderly neutered buck in his territory outside with no real issues and certainly no aggression. I think there are possibly two reasons for this. One that the doe in both cases has not reached puberty and two that does are more territorial than bucks. Added to this are things like the buck's character and their desire to have a companion of their own kind.

If I were you I would consider them bonded, but with fingers crossed behind my back :) If you were feeling impatient, you could put them out into the shed today and be prepared to watch very carefully. However, I think I would give it another day or two inside and then try.

I presume the doe is vaccinated?
Well the previous owners said she is vaccinated but I don't know for sure as they didn't give me anything to prove this , i also since learnt that she is probably younger than what they said, more like 3 months not 5 months but i guess the vets will know more on Wednesday. I will keep them both inside until then. Jimmy is extremely laid back and a gentleman who just loves cuddles and hes starting with teeth issues again which makes him even more needy . He just keeps going up to her and putting his head down for attention off her.
She needs neutered asap though, she is booked in a week on Wednesday for the spay but I am not sure she is old enough yet. I'm hoping I can get Jimmy's teeth done the same day.
Thank you

I am sorry you lost Norah. My advice would be to cancel the spay, get new bunny vaccinated and continue with the bond. When they are well bonded then you can have her spayed and everything should be ok. She will have her partner waiting when she comes home from her op to comfort her. They may have to come indoors for a few days after her spay so you can monitor her. I really hope everything works out well for your Bunnies.
Thank you. I wish my heart was into this, it's so hard when your grieving . She's a lovely little bunny but I'm finding it hard to move forward, I keep crying for Norah..
She is at vets Wednesday for injections and vet check so I will take it from there.
Thank you
Xx

So, I have a weird concern.They are cuddling most of the time, she snuggles into his big body, he puts his head over her whole body, neither are bothered by it but it looks like he's squashing her.[emoji50]
Norah and Jimmy didn't cuddle Like this , they lay together, ate together and Norah supported him through all his vets visits, but this is complete obsession.
Is this normal? He moves on fast this boy [emoji4]

Back