• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The Reality of Living with House Rabbits?

Beapig

Mama Doe
I'm just pondering...

Very much considering having Lily and Maple as house rabbits. Thinking of a Manor Pet Housing setup in our open plan living room and letting them free range during lunch/dinner time when we're downstairs the most. Both myself and my OH work from home full time.

I have a couple of questions for bun owners with a lot of experience having house rabbits. Do you find they get bored more easily than outdoor rabbits, despite enrichment? Mine like to graze the grass a lot and dig/roll in the dirt. :roll::lol: Do you find it to be overly messy/disruptive to your housekeeping routine (despite the loveliness of having them around more). And even if they're in a pen most of the time, will they destroy furniture and such when free ranging, even if supervised? I'm just thinking about our expensive sofas!

This is quite an important one that I've been wondering - what's the deal with letting them have time outdoors? Can it only be in the summer months? Because I'm thinking that we could even put a catflat in the patio doors to give them the option of going out during the day, with a catio type thing on the decking.

I'm just trying to think of all of the options because I don't think Jellybean and Maple are ever going to gel (getting Jellybean with Beatrice vibes) so I'm considering all of the options. And I quite love the idea of them cosying up in the living room with us in the evenings in front of the log burner (with a fire guard of course, I presume that would be okay!

I'd love some opinions :) Our house isn't big enough to have a designated bunny room because both of our spare bedrooms are offices, but we are saving to move in a couple of years or so, so maybe one day :)

I've had house rabbits since moving out at 18, as I've never lived anywhere suitable for outdoor buns. I haven't noticed them get bored more than my original pair when they were outside. Atm I have Jake and Jasmine in their own bedroom, Jake does chew wires if gets the opportunity to get out and into our bedroom! I have Bigwig downstairs in the kitchen, she has chewed the table/chair legs. She has always needed quite a lot of varied enrichment or does get more destructive. I do have to sweep bits of stray hay up daily, I still hoover only once a week though as I did before we had a rabbit downstairs. I do notice a couple of days earlier that it needs doing perhaps. I would only let them outside in summer, I think the temperature change in winter might not be good?

Lillian and Leo are both house rabbits. And Lillian and Henry were also house buns. Leo I think probably was an outdoor bunny before we adopted him in February and he spent about 4 weeks outdoors before 'moving in'. He has settled very well and adapted to the indoor life at the sacrifice of him not wanting to be out sa much, although Lillian likes to be out in the garden but inside at night. they have plenty of room to move about but they are more content just sitting by my wifes feet. Neither seem to want to explore any other parts of our house whereas Henry was always keen to make the most of every opportunity to explore and loved whizzing up and down the stairs and sitting on our landing.
They do make some mess - it keeps me busy with the hoover. Personally I like house rabbits - it is a nice companionship to have them around and they seem happy inside.

Susan and Rups are house rabbits, the lounge has wires (for the tv) put into old hosepipes and my wallpaper in the dining room seems to provide much entertainment :shock: Susan does not explore but Rups will go through the catflap to sit upstairs.
They go out in the daytime if it is warm enough, ie if the doors are open they go out but there is not a catflap so its my choice to have them in and out. I seem to use the rule of thumb if my washing is being pegged out the bunnies can play out.
I dont think they are bored, they have a range of toys and they can come and go as they please back into the house. I provide different toys for them, Rups gets stuff he can climb on and Susan gets stuff she can go in - but that seems to be their choice of activity.
They are not bonded so each has turns at playing out (inside or out) but they lie next to each other and can see, sniff and bite each other through the bars but choose not to bit (so far).

I've had house bunnies for about 15 years and I don't think that they're more easily bored than ones outside as long as they have enough enrichment. Grazing the grass and digging and rolling in the dirt sounds like a wonderful thing for bunnies that they can't really do indoors, so they might miss that, but you could give them a digging box to make it up to them somewhat. I don't find them to be overly messy/disruptive, either, though that does depend on how well they use their litter box, of course, and even bunnies who are litter box trained might pee on the couch. If they use their litter box for everything and they have a pen as their home, that should contain most of the mess, though you'll probably still find some hay outside their pen, too, because hay just tends to get everywhere. It shouldn't be too bad, though. I think one thing that might be a change from what you're used to is that, aside from bunny proofing everything before they move in, you have to be careful they can't get into any trouble when they're free range, that you don't leave a wrong door open, or leave your shoes or books where they might chew them, or leave a charger or some food on the coffee table where they can reach. That's easier when they have their own space outside, instead of when you're sharing your own living space with them.

When it comes to being destructive, I find that that really depends on the bunny. I've had house bunnies who liked to destroy all my stuff, and I've had house bunnies who weren't interested in that at all. So, the only way to know what Lily and Maple would do would be to try and see, really. If you're only letting them out when they're supervised, though, and they do want to destroy something, you can always protect it just while they're out and about. For example, you could put throws over your expensive sofas, and put them away again when Lily and Maple are back in their pen for the day.

About them going outside, I wouldn't do it if there's a big difference in temperature between inside and outside, but I wonder if, if they can choose for themselves whether to go outside or not, like with your idea for a cat flap, they would know for themselves whether it's too cold? Also, if you don't have the heating on and your windows open in the house in winter, then there's not much difference, I think, between bunnies who live in an isolated shed and can go outside in a run, or house bunnies that go outside. If your house is very warm in winter, though, then it probably wouldn't be a good idea. My house is pretty cold, so I'm still letting Casper out on the balcony when he wants to and it's not too wet outside, but this is the first flat we've lived in where he can go outside, so I'm not sure yet if I'll let him go outside when it's winter.

I love having house bunnies. They are messy although I am the main mess maker (dragging hay & forage about) but a few minutes with my dustpan & brush twice a day is a small price to pay. I love watching them & having them at the centre of your home is just lovely. You may not even need a pen or cage.

I feel like I've had extremes of destructive bunnes to complete angels (Rudey & Mouse). They are all different but I feel like over time my bunnies destroy less so maybe that they always have fresh or dried forage & better hay helps. Older bunnies are much better behaved - Joey was a complete rotter when he was young, he is still my 'naughtiest' rabbit still though. The other potential issue with house buns is if they choose to wee on your soft furnishings - rugs, bed, sofa. None of my three do but I've plenty of past infuriating experiences. I've had house bunnies for about 28 years though so obviously the downsides aren't enough to deter me.

I love having house bunnies. They are messy although I am the main mess maker (dragging hay & forage about) but a few minutes with my dustpan & brush twice a day is a small price to pay. I love watching them & having them at the centre of your home is just lovely. You may not even need a pen or cage.

I feel like I've had extremes of destructive bunnes to complete angels (Rudey & Mouse). They are all different but I feel like over time my bunnies destroy less so maybe that they always have fresh or dried forage & better hay helps. Older bunnies are much better behaved - Joey was a complete rotter when he was young, he is still my 'naughtiest' rabbit still though. The other potential issue with house buns is if they choose to wee on your soft furnishings - rugs, bed, sofa. None of my three do but I've plenty of past infuriating experiences. I've had house bunnies for about 28 years though so obviously the downsides aren't enough to deter me.

Yes, I agree with this, I feel that as they age they are better.

Also agree on the older bunnies = better behaved. Also indoors you can keep a better eye on them. Mine are 100% outdoor buns (until they're too infirm) but we had Lopsy indoors for a while as he was ill his first Christmas with us: I don't think he was anymore bored indoors than he was out, but we saw him less becasue he was in the attic bedroom, rather than just outside the kitchen. I have a couple of spaces I can set us as bunny places but I find them WAAAAY too distracting having them inside where I am XD The mess doesn't bother me, our house is a tip anyway right now due to building work :lol:

Depends on the bunnies personality as to whether they would prefer being indoor or outdoor. My outdoor bunnies did not like being indoors and were proper rabbity rabbits who preferred their own company and at best tolerated us. My indoor bunnies have been the more human tolerant ones, Boots was a proper cuddle bun :love: Frosty and Fern peel off wallpaper and chew plaster Sometimes :shock: I think so long as they have plenty to do, they will be fine. My long handled dustpan and brush is my friend for cleaning their room. Hay is in baskets above underbed storage box type litter trays. They have 2 boxes on stilts which they can jump into, on top of and from one to another. It’s the bottom part of a cat activity tree thing!

I've had mine indoors since about 2007 when my first rabbit got seriously ill. We also have a lot of foxes here which further added to the idea of bringing them indoors. I love having them indoors, I think they get interaction and enrichment just with having people around. Plus I find they choose unusual things to be 'fun', like a random footstool or under a bed. I also find I tend to spot health issues easier as I'm with them so much more. In an ideal world I'd love to have the whole space proofed so they could go everywhere. The Manor Pet Housing stuff is brilliant for enrichment if you can afford it and if they love digging you could always incorporate a digging box somewhere.

Obviously wires are a big issue as is anything you leave on the floor, if it's below a couple of foot of the floor it's fair game! I know there was someone who had an indoor/outdoor setup where the bunnies could go outside into a secure area whenever they wanted, I think that's a grand idea if it's doable. I take mine out when it's warm enough to sit with them, if it's not warm enough for me out there it's not warm enough for them.

Mine have never had access to sofas but I would be prepared to have to come up with some inventive ideas to protect them or resign yourself to the possibility they may get damaged. Mischa once decided he'd have a go at the corner of a wall of all things, have some large chew marks in the plaster. Mine are too old now to cause too much havoc, they generally just sleep, eat and poop and wee on blankets instead of in litter trays. Oh and beg for treats ALL the time! They see a human and they assume they're gonna get food, the thing is they usually do get something! Unfortunately now they are much older they are very poor at litter training. There is a lot of cleaning involved generally with indoor bunnies I've found. I've found my wireless Dyson brilliant for quick clean ups.

my 2 are outside but venture in sometimes. I have 1 carpet in the house which Tulip did a total seek & destroy job on :evil:

Archie and Pip have been with us for 5 years as indoor buns. They have never had their own room, house is too small for that. We started with them in a pen at night time and when we were out. However they hated being seperate from us and would chew the bars. They are now free range, but they mainly spend time in the living room or staircase. I wouldn't have it any other way, they can run around and do whatever they like. I particularly like waking up to them doing zoomies on the landing [emoji2960] or their scampering feet under the bed, when I've attempted a lie in. [emoji1787]

Ours dont go outside, too many cats, buzzards and hazards. However I dont think they've ever got bored. They keep each other entertained and we play games with them...chase the bunny is Archies favourite.

Imagine a mini binky with lots of head waggling. You run after him, he does it again and repeat until he's had enough and starts munching [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

We are lucky with Pip, shes not destructive at all. Archie gets quite grumpy if he thinks something is in his way....we have lost a lot if cables (now all safely hidden) he also chews wood when he's getting a poorly tummy. Our banister is what I like to call bunny chic. [emoji2960]

The main mess we get is hay.....which gets everywhere and they like to chuck forage around. But a quick sweep and hoover every few days and it's tidy again for 5 mins.

If you are very house proud it would drive you nuts. I think you need to be prepared for possible chewing. Having said that I would change them for the world, I'm always laughing at their antics.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

It really depends on the bunny - as there are pros and cons to both. Indoor bunnies are slighted more shielded from illnesses and have been known to have a longer life span. Those outdoors have more space and freedom. I have a feeling we are going to have 2 different bunny kinds (indoor and out doors), its already evolving in that way. For example my indoor bunnies do not forage grass, you have to cut it and put it in their bowl. Where are outdoor bunnies are like little lawn mowers hehe.

Indoor bunnies can be messy and you have to battle with chew marks - they can also drive you nuts if they live in your environment especially around spring haha! However you can keep your eye on them and will spot a sick bunny more quickly.

Back