• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Jersey Wooly Grooming and bonding Troubles

ScarletBun

New Kit
Hello everyone!

I am a proud mom of a 6 year old Jersey wooly rabbit. I've had him since he was about 6months old but we never ended up bonding. 5 years later he still runs from me and we only really hang out on his terms. Most of our hangouts include me doing homework on the ground while he runs on top of my computer or lays down a feet or so away from me and watches. He has my whole room in addition to a cage that he can roam about. I am usually away at college past 2 or so years and my parents have been the main one keeping him fed. I and the rest of my family have given up on trying to get him to love us after years, but he seems content to just get fed and get treats. However, I am concerned about his hair. I read online that rabbits hate being picked up. Past couple of years I would pick him up like every couple of months to try to groom him myself which is where I think his fear of me originated. For the most part I get him medically groomed which is a complete shave down at the vet. However, there isn't an opening for 20 days. I'm trying to groom him with my hands without picking him up and it isn't going so well. When he doesnt run from me he acts scared and attempts to fight back by scratching me. Any suggestions on how to groom him without causing physical or mental harm? I can get the tangled hair behind his ears but I'm afraid he is very matted around his tail area but wont let me go near it. Should I just suck it up and keep picking him up to groom him?

Thank you!

Back