• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is sawdust a no for a hutch?

Willow218

New Kit
We've had our rabbits for 4 days and they have settled well.

I've lined the base with vinyl floor tiles, not sealed though. We put newspaper and sawdust down with hay in the bedroom. I've since read that sawdust isn't recommended.

I've seen megazorb mentioned but it looks the same. Is this the best thing to use.

I've also read about pet blankets as liners, or vet bed. Can I see some pics of your hutch set ups so I can get an idea please.

Also they are weeing and pooping in two litter trays, in their bed, in fact everywhere, is that normal? They have hay in their trays to encourage them in.

Also can they have veg yet, they have Haybox timothy hay, Burgess pellets and are eating plenty! They are 8 weeks old so are they too young yet?

Thanks

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

I've lined the base with vinyl floor tiles, not sealed though. We put newspaper and sawdust down with hay in the bedroom. I've since read that sawdust isn't recommended.

I've seen megazorb mentioned but it looks the same. Is this the best thing to use.

I've also read about pet blankets as liners, or vet bed. Can I see some pics of your hutch set ups so I can get an idea please.

Also they are weeing and pooping in two litter trays, in their bed, in fact everywhere, is that normal? They have hay in their trays to encourage them in.

Also can they have veg yet, they have Haybox timothy hay, Burgess pellets and are eating plenty! They are 8 weeks old so are they too young yet?

Thanks

yes!
they can be encouraged to just go in their litter tray but others will best advise - I have never done so.

veg I think yes. just a bit & see what it is they like. in my experience they will often ignore certain stuff for a while & days or weeks later decide they like it.
hay is the go-to constant supply thing but again they can be fussy on which one they like. others will advise i'm sure or there are some threads on here discussing hay types. it's usually an expensive one they like :lol:

Thanks

Sawdust isn't safe to use, megazorb is very different actually in texture, it's actually absorbent too so that's a win win [emoji38]

You can use carefresh too, but that's more expensive, there's fitch which is just like carefresh but a bit cheaper - it used to be a lot better value but now it's not :/ there's aubiose which is safe too, which is more like sawdust in texture etc. We just use wood or paper litter pellets here with hay on top :) hope that helps with some alternative options though

As they're 8 weeks old, I'm assuming they won't be neutered yet, mine got much better at litter training once they'd been neutered. But sounds normal to me atm.

I wouldn't bother with vet bed, we only use it after operations or special reasons here, plus nightmare to wash and get the hay out [emoji51] we have horse wash bags otherwise your washing machine gets clogged with hay [emoji51][emoji38]

Veg, I'd introduce one thing at a time very slowly in tiny quantities, before moving onto the next different type of veg.

Only other thing, is getting them booked in for their vaccination, there's a new one out which covers them for Myxomatosis, RHD1 and Rhd2, rather than them both having to have two jabs every year, they can just have this one :) https://www.msd-animal-health.co.uk...:~:text=This is the first single,RHDV-1 and 2

Hope that's helpful and your new buns settle in well [emoji7]

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks, they had their vaccinations on Tuesday, I wanted them done quickly just in case.

I'll get googling on your bedding suggestions!

Lots of good advice given already, just wanted to add that I use newspaper at the bottom of the tray, with a good layer of hay on top. Also if you look under the Forum section, there is a section called Housing, there is lots of ideas and pictures of other people's setups, that might give you a few ideas. Good luck !

Back-2-Nature is another one (don't think it was mentioned, but I may have missed it!) It's a paper-based bedding that's absorbent.

Back-2-Nature is another one (don't think it was mentioned, but I may have missed it!) It's a paper-based bedding that's absorbent.
Yea that's what we use under hay I really like it :) but it's a paper pellet rather than a soft bedding, and not the cheapest in large quantities. Very good at odour control tho!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Back