• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

First time bonding, or use a bonding service?

OliveTree

Warren Scout
So.... I might be able to find a partner for Benji :D but the rescue isn’t currently able to bond them. This would be my first time bonding and I’m pretty nervous about it... I’m at home, so I can put the time in, but I’m worried about it all going wrong! I also don’t really have neutral space, though I probably have time to get something sorted. Or, I could look into a bonding service (can anyone recommend one in the East Midlands?) and have the stress taken out of it (but would bringing them home and settling them in here be stressful?). Does anyone have any words of wisdom please?

I've been really lucky with mine: I took Lopsy to meet Chibbs and he HATED it (the experience, not Chibbs!), but having been advised on here that boys tend to be less territorial, I brought them back to the playhouse and he came out of his shell and was normal Lopsy again, and Chibbs seemed fine with the new space, a little wary but confident. If it all went to pot I had the dog crate ready to go (a neutral space). But being outside and it being January I didn't want to bring them in :roll: so they would have had to slum it in the garage. I don't know of any local bonding services but I can probably get my dog crate back if my mates son't need it for their cat bonding anymore, so you could borrow it if you wanted (I could deliver if necessary :)).

Wow, you make it sound so easy :D I guess bunny personalities have a lot to do with it. Benji is sweet and friendly with humans but of course I don't know what he'd be like with another rabbit (though he was definitely the one coming off worse when he was ill-advisedly in with another unneutered male last year).

Your point about outdoor rabbits is a good one, as they will need to be outdoor here for various reasons, and I assume we're getting to the end of the time when we could safely move them from one to the other. We do have a fairly draughty conservatory though, which possibly would be a suitable halfway house?

Thank you for the potential offer of the dog crate. Maybe I could get in touch if it does look as if we'll try it ourselves, and ask you then if it's going to be available?

I think a lot will depend on the details of the rescue bunny, i.e. age, whether been bonded successfully before, how long since neuter, personality etc.

I had success here with my last bonding attempt by doing it along the same lines as KK has described, but it was with a laid back, neutered, 8 year old buck and a pre-puberty un-neutered doe. We had similar problems in that the rabbits here live outside and no neutral space.

I would find out some more information from the rescue if I were you.

Wow, you make it sound so easy :D I guess bunny personalities have a lot to do with it. Benji is sweet and friendly with humans but of course I don't know what he'd be like with another rabbit (though he was definitely the one coming off worse when he was ill-advisedly in with another unneutered male last year).

Your point about outdoor rabbits is a good one, as they will need to be outdoor here for various reasons, and I assume we're getting to the end of the time when we could safely move them from one to the other. We do have a fairly draughty conservatory though, which possibly would be a suitable halfway house?

Thank you for the potential offer of the dog crate. Maybe I could get in touch if it does look as if we'll try it ourselves, and ask you then if it's going to be available?
Yeah, a lot of it is luck with personalities: Lopsy's the most laid-back thing ever with other rabbits. He's RUBBISH at being a rabbit really, he doesn't follow any of the normal social cues or anything. His first bond (when he was 2) was a bit more active, in the sense he had a go at humping Aboleth but soon became bottom bun (but the one who gets all the loves :roll: All backwards!), and he was 6.5 when he bonded with Chibbs (5). She's always been top :)

If you do want the dog crate, drop me a PM when you're ready: just give me 48hrs notice ;P

There's some good advice on the Cottontails Rabbit Rescue website. Mairwen has bonded more Rabbits than anyone I know. When you introduce 2 Rabbits you must not show you are scared but act as if everything is normal and you know what you are doing! Their initial response when meeting a new bunny, quite often, is to attack them but you have to make them know this is not what you want them to do and they have to get on with the new bun. This seems peculiar to them but you have to be firm.

Yeah, a lot of it is luck with personalities: Lopsy's the most laid-back thing ever with other rabbits. He's RUBBISH at being a rabbit really, he doesn't follow any of the normal social cues or anything. His first bond (when he was 2) was a bit more active, in the sense he had a go at humping Aboleth but soon became bottom bun (but the one who gets all the loves :roll: All backwards!), and he was 6.5 when he bonded with Chibbs (5). She's always been top :)

If you do want the dog crate, drop me a PM when you're ready: just give me 48hrs notice ;P

You made me laugh with Lopsy being rubbish at being a rabbit! And thanks again for the dog crate offer. I may be in touch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's some good advice on the Cottontails Rabbit Rescue website. Mairwen has bonded more Rabbits than anyone I know. When you introduce 2 Rabbits you must not show you are scared but act as if everything is normal and you know what you are doing! Their initial response when meeting a new bunny, quite often, is to attack them but you have to make them know this is not what you want them to do and they have to get on with the new bun. This seems peculiar to them but you have to be firm.

Thank you, that is helpful. I don’t know how successful I’ll be at not seeming scared, but I suppose I’ve got some time to practise!

I’m feeling a little more confident now....I wonder if we could make a start and then find someone to do it for us if it’s not working out, or would that be the worst of both worlds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you should have a go at bonding them yourself and maybe look into getting outside help if things aren't going well. People often understandably feel a lot of trepidation about bonding but it often goes a lot more smoothly than they expect. There are also a lot of people on here, particularly tonibun, who are very experienced in bonding and will be able to give you advice along the way.

My only suggestion for now is to do as much research on bonding as you can beforehand. Just so you know what kind of behaviours to expect during the process.

Good luck!

Most Rabbits will get along after an initial period when they don't trust one another, usually between 1 and 3 days. It is mainly a case of persevering with them and it isn't long before they settle down together. Only rarely does it happen that 2 Rabbits won't become friends. You are in the best position whereby you are introducing a new female to your male as it is much more difficult to bring home a male for a resident female who would no doubt behave territorially.

I think you should have a go at bonding them yourself and maybe look into getting outside help if things aren't going well. People often understandably feel a lot of trepidation about bonding but it often goes a lot more smoothly than they expect. There are also a lot of people on here, particularly tonibun, who are very experienced in bonding and will be able to give you advice along the way.

My only suggestion for now is to do as much research on bonding as you can beforehand. Just so you know what kind of behaviours to expect during the process.

Good luck!

Thank you! I’m definitely feeling more encouraged and confident. I think my weekend is going to be spent reading up on rabbit bonding!

Most Rabbits will get along after an initial period when they don't trust one another, usually between 1 and 3 days. It is mainly a case of persevering with them and it isn't long before they settle down together. Only rarely does it happen that 2 Rabbits won't become friends. You are in the best position whereby you are introducing a new female to your male as it is much more difficult to bring home a male for a resident female who would no doubt behave territorially.

Thank you. It’s very encouraging to hear that they are likely to settle down together quickly, and that introducing a female to a male is likely to be easier.

Back