• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post neutering advice

cheriseru

Alpha Buck
Hiya,
Finally have an appointment for Zeus to be neutered. This upcoming Monday 5/10/2020.
I've watched numerous videos and read blogs about pre and post care, I've got his favourite veg being delivered on Sunday :)

My big question is though, everything I've read/watched says that afterwards they should be enclosed in a smaller space for at least 24hrs so they don't run or jump to pull stitches etc. Problem with Zeus is he absolutely hates being confined. Even if I'm in the same room.
Today again I tried closing him in his pen which is 1m x 2m which is made from clear plastic panels, had to put a 'roof' on otherwise he jumps over.
But as soon as I closed it he started pawing, nudging, biting, boxing and kicking the side panels till he actually knocked it out from the clips :( he really hates it.
Generally he doesn't run around the house, mostly just lazies about really. So I was wondering if anyone that had a free roam bunny that's been for neutering can give some advice?
Would it be OK to keep him out and just monitor him closely?

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

He is likely to be a bit drowsy after his GA so less likely to want to be jumping about. As long as he does not jump up onto chairs etc if he is not shut in a pen then he should be OK. You may find that he wants to remain in his Pet carrier for some time on returning home.

He is likely to be a bit drowsy after his GA so less likely to want to be jumping about. As long as he does not jump up onto chairs etc if he is not shut in a pen then he should be OK. You may find that he wants to remain in his Pet carrier for some time on returning home.
Ah ok cools :) I'll make sure I stay on floor level and remove any jumping temptation:)
Thank you :)
So after I get back I should leave him to get out of his carrier on his own?

Ah ok cools :) I'll make sure I stay on floor level and remove any jumping temptation:)
Thank you :)
So after I get back I should leave him to get out of his carrier on his own?

Yes, just put some food and water nearby :)

Back