• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this good or bad tooth grinding?

Agalychnis

New Kit

Hey, sorry if I am breaking any forum etiquette, first time posting.

My male 3yo rabbit is making this noise while flopped. My other rabbit purrs her teeth when relaxed and having a stroke but it's much quieter + faster than this. Is this just his relaxed noise or is it the bad kind of tooth grinding?

Thanks,
Emma

Hey, sorry if I am breaking any forum etiquette, first time posting.

My male 3yo rabbit is making this noise while flopped. My other rabbit purrs her teeth when relaxed and having a stroke but it's much quieter + faster than this. Is this just his relaxed noise or is it the bad kind of tooth grinding?

Thanks,
Emma

Hard to tell from the audio, is he relaxed flopped or is he restless, shifting about then flopping down ? Is he behaving normally in every other way and eating, pooping, drinking and weeing OK ?

He was napping in a loaf position, I put the recorder next to him which woke him up, then he flopped down. Eating, pooping etc is all ok, but he lost his companion last week so I'm wondering if it's emotional stress.

Hello and welcome. Following on from Jane's reply, and looking at your reply to that, here are my observations. Jane is absolutely spot on in guiding you towards other observations for your bunny. It's important to look at every other visual element of your rabbits regular behavior - eating normally, looking keen for food, pooping and weeing normally, even down to his body position.
I support your view regarding emotional stress - rabbits grieve as we do. It could depend on the circumstances on the loss, but your rabbit needs to make sense and in his own way understand the sudden loss. That said, grinding teeth for grieving isn't one I am familar with. But certainly your rabbit may have some elements of behaviour over the loss so that needs to be carefully monitored.
One thing you could do is spend some cuddle time with your rabbit and gently stroke him whilst carefully checking (during stroking) for any parts of your rabbit that he might be sensitive with? Start at the head and gently work down the spine, legs etc. generally speaking if your rabbit likes the stroking, his teeth with purr or chatter (my lionhead loves this), and the response is proviked through your stroking so you can then prove that the teeth chattering is one of contentment, not of pain. If your rabbit reacts or flinches, then perhaps there is discomfort somewhere that would require further investigation.
From how you describe, your rabbit appears to be presenting as comfortable and relaxed. But there may be something like teeth or ears that might be causing discomfort and are difficult to diagnose without vetinary intervention.
If in any doubt, then I would perhaps consider route one - and take your rabbit to see your vet, explaining the concern. Your vet should be able to perfrom a health check - teeth, ears, temperature and limb checks to see if there is anything they feel is wrong.
You are the eyes and ears of your bunny - asking the forum here is a fantastic way to get support and advice and hopefully others will post their advice and help for you.
I hope everything is ok for your rabbit - losing a partner bun is always traumatic and difficult.
Craig xx

Back