• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor temperatures and outdoor excursions

cheriseru

Alpha Buck
hi all :)
I've been slowly converting my studio into a Zeus utopia, complete with steps up to get on the bed and his own little water fountain :p
I've been wondering about temperatures as he seems to like to lay in my bedroom where the aircon used to be on 24/7 set to 18°C. He also never lays in the sun or cuddles up on the numerous blankets and snuggies he's got available, mostly just stretches out on the floor.
I have noticed majority of the time his ears are quite warm to the touch as well.
that all said, as we're going into winter I've finally been able to turn the aircon off, I tend to prefer colder than warmer so my place generally is cooler.
Today I've bought one of those indoor temperature gauges because I read that heat stroke is very dangerous to bunnies. Most places I read suggested ideal indoor temperature to be between 10-20°C, is this right? What do other people keep their free roam rabbit spaces at? And is colder better than warmer?

Then also, I take him to the grass downstairs in front of our building everyday but as it's getting more windy and colder, when should I stop? Or what should I avoid with taking him out?

Ps. He was at the vet start of the week and got a clean bill of health 🙌🙌 so I'm sure he's not sick :)

Pps. Does anyone else's bunnies prefer hard floor to soft blankets/beds etc?

just from personal observation - by no means a medical pov:
I would say my buns are fine at 10 to 20 deg C.
20 to 25 is OK.
25 to 30 they keep in the shade.
over 30 is too hot
5 to 10 is chilly
0 to 5 is cold
under 0 is too cold (except for short exercise time but they must be able to warm up afterwards
under -5 not suitable at all

I think the main thing is that if it's too hot that they can go somewhere cooler if they want to.
too cold can be a killer. they shouldn't be exposed to too cold overnight (say 5 degC or under) or for any other long periods where they can't get to somewhere warmer.

also depends where the rabbits generally live. I suspect outdoor rabbits are more used to gradually changing conditions.
fresh water MUST be available in any conditions.
they shouldn't get too wet - either rain or underfoot damp conditions.

please don't take this as definitive advice, just my general personal opinion.

Regarding the outdoor excursions, it is better to keep rabbits at a constant temperature because of their respiratory system. It is the sudden change of temperature which is not good for them. So if Zeus normally lives indoors, I would not take him outside when the temperature drops even for short periods. Similarly if Zeus were an outdoor rabbit, I would not bring him inside for short periods, because there will be a temperature change.

Thank you both :D really appreciate the advice.
It's good to understand as well now that sudden change in temp is really bad.

Zeus is a full time indoor bunny but I've started taking him to the grass outside.
Think I'm going to start monitoring the temperature outside and then get my studio close to the same before taking him outside while outside is still above 15°C and the grass isn't damp.

He gets so happy when we go out so want to try do it as long as I can :)
Thanks again both!!

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

just from personal observation - by no means a medical pov:
I would say my buns are fine at 10 to 20 deg C.
20 to 25 is OK.
25 to 30 they keep in the shade.
over 30 is too hot
5 to 10 is chilly
0 to 5 is cold
under 0 is too cold (except for short exercise time but they must be able to warm up afterwards
under -5 not suitable at all

I think the main thing is that if it's too hot that they can go somewhere cooler if they want to.
too cold can be a killer. they shouldn't be exposed to too cold overnight (say 5 degC or under) or for any other long periods where they can't get to somewhere warmer.

also depends where the rabbits generally live. I suspect outdoor rabbits are more used to gradually changing conditions.
fresh water MUST be available in any conditions.
they shouldn't get too wet - either rain or underfoot damp conditions.

please don't take this as definitive advice, just my general personal opinion.
I like this :) I think it works to gauge extra measures etc. needed, and the temperature ranges work OK for my buns too :) We use the 'Below 5' rule for snugglesafes with our (outdoor) buns, so they get a snugglesafe if it goes below 5C, although they got one last night when it was forecast to 6C because they're not fluffy enough yet really. We're glued to the Met Office app and website for our buns (and our comfort ;P).

Back