• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hi and seeking advice

Bhavani

Young Bun
Hi everyone,

Apologies if this post duplicates anything I've posted recently - I tried to post something to the 'introductions' forum this week, which got moved to rabbit chat, but in the process either the message has disappeared or I have not been able to notice it!

I am new to this forum and indeed new to rabbits. We got a lovely pair of 4-year olds from RSPCA a month back - Cookie and Cream. Sadly, Cookie passed away within 2 weeks of arrival, and it appears it might have been GI stasis. We have been devastated, even though the vet does not think we did anything wrong.

Thankfully, Cream is going strong, and is full of energy and mischief - we all love her to bits.

However, we have a new worry now. My wife thinks she encountered a fox poo in the garden yesterday. Cream lives in a converted shed with a bolting door for the night. She has access to a run with galvanised wiring. In the last week, I have enjoyed also giving her fairly free run of the garden during the day (within an enclosed space of the lawn). But after this fox poo sighting, I am going to be much more cautious. I have just obtained 'Get off my garden' repellent. Does anyone have experience of discouraging foxes with this? I am also thinking of the 'ScareCrow' sprinkler, since some reviews suggest it works well. Any advice?

Grateful for any thoughts.

Cheers,
Bhavani
B53HcvR.jpg

Hi everyone,

Apologies if this post duplicates anything I've posted recently - I tried to post something to the 'introductions' forum this week, which got moved to rabbit chat, but in the process either the message has disappeared or I have not been able to notice it!

I am new to this forum and indeed new to rabbits. We got a lovely pair of 4-year olds from RSPCA a month back - Cookie and Cream. Sadly, Cookie passed away within 2 weeks of arrival, and it appears it might have been GI stasis. We have been devastated, even though the vet does not think we did anything wrong.

Thankfully, Cream is going strong, and is full of energy and mischief - we all love her to bits.

However, we have a new worry now. My wife thinks she encountered a fox poo in the garden yesterday. Cream lives in a converted shed with a bolting door for the night. She has access to a run with galvanised wiring. In the last week, I have enjoyed also giving her fairly free run of the garden during the day (within an enclosed space of the lawn). But after this fox poo sighting, I am going to be much more cautious. I have just obtained 'Get off my garden' repellent. Does anyone have experience of discouraging foxes with this? I am also thinking of the 'ScareCrow' sprinkler, since some reviews suggest it works well. Any advice?

Grateful for any thoughts.

Cheers,
Bhavani
B53HcvR.jpg

Hi, I'm sorry that you don't seem to have got any replies to your original post. I looked, but couldn't find it either :lol:

I have outside bunnies and we also live in a fairly rural location and we regularly get foxes at night in the garden. I am never relaxed about the fox risk, as we have had fox attacks on our chickens, when they have been free-ranging during the day. Once even right in front of us, just a few feet away. They can be desparate and determined,
especially if they know that food is available.

So I'm afraid I would not leave bunnies to free range outside in the garden under those circumstances. Any run, which you are using must be fully predator-proof. This means using substantial weld-mesh on the sides and possibly also the roof, unless something else equally strong is used. You would also be advised to bury weldmesh on the floor of the run (if on grass), or put on concrete slabs. Foxes will dig underneath otherwise. I have not tried using any repellents, so I have no experience of those you mention. Personally I would not want to rely on anything like that.

Cream is certainly a beautiful bunny. It looks as though she will get a darker nose stripe and darker ears :) There is a current thread about bunnies with fur like this, as it changes colour with the seasons.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?477950-Calling-all-white-bunnies-with-nose-stripes

I am so very sorry that you lost Cookie :cry: GI Stasis can be devastating.

Excellent advice from Omi. I'm sorry you lost Cookie. Cream is a beautiful bunny.

Welcome to RU too

Cream is a lovely and lucky bunny to have found you to provide her care.
No fox advice as I have inside bunnies

I am sorry you lost Cookie. Could it have been a Fox which scared her? Have you looked on the Rabbit Welfare Association's website? There is a wealth of advice regarding housing, diet, etc.

Hi there, I just looked for your other post and it needed approval (sometimes posts get flagged up as potential spam even though they're not). I've approved it for you now.

Sorry for your loss.

Foxes are very determined beasts. There are other predators to be aware of as well - cats, stray dogs, birds of prey, people (bunnies can be stolen).

Your first line of defence is to provide a secure enclosure and housing. Chicken wire is not strong enough - it needs to be weldesh on a suitable frame (eg timber), with a roof and a means to stop predators digging in / bunnies digging out - so either on a solid base (eg concrete or slabs) or mesh laid under grass / turf. Hutches / sheds should have proper and substantial bolts, preferably lockable (eg with padlocks) to prevent accidental opening.

As for deterring foxes - there have been other posts on the subject, so it's worth doing a search on the forum. There was a conversation about electric fences, spotlights, sprinkler systems, etc.

Foxes can easily clear 6' fences (I've seen them do it in my garden). They can break into insecure housing and get through quite small gaps (such as a cat flap). Don't underestimate them.

Thank you, kind people, how great is it to have a support group of this kind.

The run attached to Cream's shed (access via catflap) does indeed have weld mesh. Actually, when we started, we only had chicken wire, and then RSPCA made me put weld mesh on, for which I am grateful :) So now the run has two layers - weld mesh and chicken wire behind it (picture below). The run is not on concrete, but there is wire running below the ground. But the advice given here fully noted, and I am going to do whatever I can to further reinforce the accommodation, as well as invest in fox repellent measures.

Thanks again!

D5i8mmR

Back