• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The Runaround System

I would worry about if a Bunny became poorly and hid away in a tunnel :) Or maybe each section of tubing is not that long ?

I would worry about if a Bunny became poorly and hid away in a tunnel :) Or maybe each section of tubing is not that long ?
Depends what you buy, one of ours is 16ft long. I've never had that issue, if someone's not well they don't leave the hutch, or they head back to it, because it's all dark and their safe space. If in doubt they always head back to the hutch. Never had anyone stay in the tube, just travel through it [emoji38]

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Mine aren't Runaraound (although I got some connectors off someone on here :D) but Lopsy's hid in the longest (12'?) when the cats were being too annoying: we just, uhm, lifted it up until he came out! They've never done it when they're ill, only scared. And they don't get access until they know their safe places that aren't tubes. But it has put us off making underground tunnels :S It's also not that 'safe' when you've got big bully ABoleth coming to turf you out so she can get fed, or feisty Chibbs nipping your bum so you move :lol:

We found connecting the connectors to our existing 1cmx1cm mesh (on the hutch) wasn't easy, we needed a chock of wood to make it work. But the connectors fit nicely into the tubes we have :) If I was attaching tubes to mesh again I would probably knock something up out of wood.

I wouldn't be without tubes in our setup TBH, they're so versatile and our bunnies can choose to be in whichever area they please, with or without the other one :) I much prefer having lots of different areas for them rather than the 'run&hutch' setup, even though we still have a run and a hutch :D It means our garden is relatively easy to change around as well, as we're going to be having work done but we don't need to move EVERYTHING to facilitate this and the bunnies don't necessarily need to lose any space as their areas will move around as needed :) Also turns out Chibbs LOVES tubes :)

I never had any issues with anybun hiding in the tunnels. I had 2 8ft ones, one for each pair to join hutch to run, back when I had outdoor rabbits. Once they’d all moved into the shed/aviary run the tunnels were laid in the run for them to use for fun. They loved them :love:I didn’t have any of the runs but I used the connectors and door disks. They were very good quality.

I only asked as a Runaround set up appeared on my FB news feed and I was very :? about it. But I know that it’s impossible to judge well just from a photo. I have never seen a Runaround set up in real life x

I really like the idea - I think its an excellent way to make the most of space & add enrichment. I don't think anything is absolutely risk free but if its the difference between handling a rabbit to enable it to go in the run rather than choosing to by popping down a tube its a winner. I'd be reluctant to bury the tube as access in worst case scenario would worry me. Tis very true all bunnies seem to love a tunnel. One negative is i had to remove ours as Mousey slipped in it & couldn't get herself up. She's bad on her pins though. I think she'd have been ok with smaller diameter.

All in all I think our outside bunny friends would be missing out big time if runaround didn't exist.

The tubes are brilliant. Been about a week or so I think since I used one of the tubes to replace the ramp in the hutch and it's made a big difference to the behaviour of my pair. Realised that they've been telling me for a while by not using the top floor that much that they weren't happy with the ramp and now they're not only using it but are also really happy zooming up and down the tunnel. Rather nice actually hearing the rattle of claws on pipe.

The runs are also really good and I've got the junction boxes as well for more flexibility. Been a few years since I got everything and wasn't cheap but the hoolibuns are definitely get their monies worth from it.

Thanks for your input folks. I would have been put off if I’d just gone on the one image I saw, but your comments have given me a better insight :D

I had tunnels and connectors from a shed aviary leading through to a hay hutch, along 2 mesh tunnels to another run on the lawn. My bridge bun Toffee loved it, and would spend many a happy hour asleep in the hay hutch. On the other hand Treacle was terrified, and wouldn't go through any of it. Now she is a housebun its all just languishing in the shed. I thought it was well made though.

I had tunnels and connectors from a shed aviary leading through to a hay hutch, along 2 mesh tunnels to another run on the lawn. My bridge bun Toffee loved it, and would spend many a happy hour asleep in the hay hutch. On the other hand Treacle was terrified, and wouldn't go through any of it. Now she is a housebun its all just languishing in the shed. I thought it was well made though.
It’d be typical for me to spend a fortune on a set-up and then find everyBun refuses to use it :roll::lol:

Rather nice actually hearing the rattle of claws on pipe.
This reminds me that I can tell when something's wrong with the rabbits by them running down the tube 'wrong': the sound changes! It might not be mobility related but they run differently when something's up :)

It’d be typical for me to spend a fortune on a set-up and then find everyBun refuses to use it :roll::lol:
XD We have to make sure ours are suitable for it, they're not getting anything else :lol: We were a bit worried about Chibbs but she's just super cautious, not scared of tunnels but if she's not certain of what's at the other end, she backs down it :D If two buns go in at the same time we wondered what would happen: Aboleth and Lopsy, both big-ish 2.5kg buns, could easily back up a 12' 6" tube :)

Back