• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding advice and tips

BunnyMomx2

Young Bun
Hey all

So as most of you know we lost our lovely Stella at 5 months leaving 5 months Stanley alone. So after some advice I've got 2 new female babies both 8 weeks.

The girls live together but next to Stanley.. and their free roam areas are side by side so most of the day they can see each other through the fence.

Now i don't know what to do now..
Do I wait until they are neutered and then bond or do it now??
Stanley has been castrated a while ago now.
So far they sniff and kiss through the cage.. no aggressive behaviour at all.

I never expected to have to get another friend for Stanley so this is completely new so will not be offended if I'm told I'm doing wrong etc just want good advice going forward as was told by a bunny bonder to put them straight together and I was sure that wasn't right so didn't.

Help lol xx

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
ffa773788eb6ebe04a9cabace38063e8.jpg
f5d5adfc260aa2e0507c904ef4a7d4a0.jpg
1cd44333b358a714e57528ac831766d8.jpg

2 girls are the most difficult pairing in my experience, I did manage to keep 2 sisters together by having them spayed as soon as possible, but not before hormones had started raging and they had started chasing and fur pulling. I did manage to bond them into a quad some months later with 2 boys. I would personally wait until they are spayed, and wait about 6 weeks post spay for hormones to subside. You will need to watch them like a hawk and referred aggression is likely anyway with a bunny next door to them.

Have you read the trio bonding sticky http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?317003-Do-you-want-to-bond-a-trio-Read-this-first

I agree have a good read through the bonding sticky :thumb:

It's very likely that people on this forum will give you different opinions on what would be best to do now. This could possibly be depending on what has worked for them. So, if it were me, if it is 6+ weeks since Stanley was neutered, I think I would try putting them all together now in a neutral space. Obviously watching them very closely for signs of aggression. I have a pair which I bonded (very easily) two years ago. The doe was a 3 months old unspayed doe and, after letting her settle overnight, I put her in with my 7 year old neutered buck. There was a minimal amount of chasing from the buck, but no aggression. There have been no problems since.

My reasons for advising this are that two does will likely become aggressive with each other when they hit puberty, which in my view 'might' make it more difficult to bond them with Stanley. I think also this is more likely living side by side with Stanley. At the moment they are unlikely to be hormonal. Also, I think that Stanley might be more gentle with younger does. You would also have the option, if it didn't work out, to separate and try after they have been spayed.

Btw do ask for advice during the bonding process if you need help :)

Your babies are really quite lovely :love: Are they pure breed Rexes? Have they got names?

I agree have a good read through the bonding sticky :thumb:

It's very likely that people on this forum will give you different opinions on what would be best to do now. This could possibly be depending on what has worked for them. So, if it were me, if it is 6+ weeks since Stanley was neutered, I think I would try putting them all together now in a neutral space. Obviously watching them very closely for signs of aggression. I have a pair which I bonded (very easily) two years ago. The doe was a 3 months old unspayed doe and, after letting her settle overnight, I put her in with my 7 year old neutered buck. There was a minimal amount of chasing from the buck, but no aggression. There have been no problems since.

My reasons for advising this are that two does will likely become aggressive with each other when they hit puberty, which in my view 'might' make it more difficult to bond them with Stanley. I think also this is more likely living side by side with Stanley. At the moment they are unlikely to be hormonal. Also, I think that Stanley might be more gentle with younger does. You would also have the option, if it didn't work out, to separate and try after they have been spayed.

Btw do ask for advice during the bonding process if you need help :)

Your babies are really quite lovely :love: Are they pure breed Rexes? Have they got names?
Thank you for your advice.

Pure rex luna and nova. They are all easy to handle and love being stroked.

2 girls are the most difficult pairing in my experience, I did manage to keep 2 sisters together by having them spayed as soon as possible, but not before hormones had started raging and they had started chasing and fur pulling. I did manage to bond them into a quad some months later with 2 boys. I would personally wait until they are spayed, and wait about 6 weeks post spay for hormones to subside. You will need to watch them like a hawk and referred aggression is likely anyway with a bunny next door to them.

Have you read the trio bonding sticky http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?317003-Do-you-want-to-bond-a-trio-Read-this-first
Thank you for the advice will have a read.

Hiya again all.

So where are we at... we did the neutral area for a few days a bit of chasing but we worked out it was more the girls running away Stanley just wanted to groom them. We eventually increased the space and all has been going fab this is a few hours every day... then we managed a full day so the next day we moved on to trying them in Stanley's area he didn't like that chasing a lot and nipping at them to get out. So we went back to neutral area and all fine.
We did that again for a day or so
Always separating at night.

So then we opened the girls area and have had no issues they spend all day there almost eat breakfast and tea together then we separate at night. so the girls have a huge hutch with free roaming no run attached as of yet as ideally we want them all together in Stanley's accommodation then we plan to attach the girls to the other side of his run so they have around 12ft of space. We haven't tried an overnight yet as we cant stay outside and I'm.worried the girls hutch is too small for an overnight for the 3 of them hence why I wanted them to go to Stanley's but he still isn't keen.

I tried to.open up Stanley's and he then starts chasing again and pushing them out his hutch.

Today they spent most of morning together then Stanley started biting st the fence and pushing it which I've started to understand as that he is ready for home so I lift him over the fence and he dashes off either to his litter box and munching on hay or he goes to his usual perch where he spends napping time in the day. They can still see each other through the fence etc

My question is what next... how do I get around this territory thing for Stanley and how do I move on to them being together all the time.
I've had fantastic advice from omi so huge thanks as you're the reason I'm at this next stage.

But anymore advice would be helpful. Xxx
33906376a48f402bac97f7fc0391bac4.jpg
75f86f00c9a638d77e29743c3ab1ae9e.jpg
e27226a6d41e89849ad671b4f4f6c503.jpg
aac4da67970726368fea414c52a098fb.jpg

Hiya again all.

So where are we at... we did the neutral area for a few days a bit of chasing but we worked out it was more the girls running away Stanley just wanted to groom them. We eventually increased the space and all has been going fab this is a few hours every day... then we managed a full day so the next day we moved on to trying them in Stanley's area he didn't like that chasing a lot and nipping at them to get out. So we went back to neutral area and all fine.
We did that again for a day or so
Always separating at night.

So then we opened the girls area and have had no issues they spend all day there almost eat breakfast and tea together then we separate at night. so the girls have a huge hutch with free roaming no run attached as of yet as ideally we want them all together in Stanley's accommodation then we plan to attach the girls to the other side of his run so they have around 12ft of space. We haven't tried an overnight yet as we cant stay outside and I'm.worried the girls hutch is too small for an overnight for the 3 of them hence why I wanted them to go to Stanley's but he still isn't keen.

I tried to.open up Stanley's and he then starts chasing again and pushing them out his hutch.

Today they spent most of morning together then Stanley started biting st the fence and pushing it which I've started to understand as that he is ready for home so I lift him over the fence and he dashes off either to his litter box and munching on hay or he goes to his usual perch where he spends napping time in the day. They can still see each other through the fence etc

My question is what next... how do I get around this territory thing for Stanley and how do I move on to them being together all the time.
I've had fantastic advice from omi so huge thanks as you're the reason I'm at this next stage.

But anymore advice would be helpful. Xxx
33906376a48f402bac97f7fc0391bac4.jpg
75f86f00c9a638d77e29743c3ab1ae9e.jpg
e27226a6d41e89849ad671b4f4f6c503.jpg
aac4da67970726368fea414c52a098fb.jpg

Hi, I'm pleased that you've asked for additional thoughts on this :)

The pics are very encouraging. One thing I'm wondering, is whether Stanley wants to return to the safety of his own hutch to do things like snoozing, when he might not feel quite so secure with the girls there. Have you noticed whether he uses a litter tray when in the girls' accommodation?

Omi

I've seen him go into it but doesn't stop for long I changed the girls tray today as they always need changing more often and he was sat at the side munching hay.

Its almost as if he's happy to visit and will binky and have a big run but then he let's me know when he's had enough and wants to return home.

Just to add noticed the girls running up to Stanley today and bowing their head to him it looks as if they are looking for his attention/ to be groomed maybe.. unsure..

I think if you keep opening up Stanley's accommodation he will slowly adjust to having 2 new girlfriends. Try feeding them in there as maybe this will help, giving him a clue as to what is expected of him, ie all 3 together! :love:

It is quite normal for the boy to chase the girl(s). This usually lasts for a couple of days and the girls will just keep running away. How it will all pan out when the girls get a bit older no-one knows but there will definitely be a dominant one. My very first Rabbits (2 sisters) lived harmoniously with a neutered male so it can work.

Okay thanks for that advice I didn't know if I was to keep opening his accommodation up was a good thing or not but ill give it a go.

Thank you

Update

Had run of both hutches and free roaming and attached 6ft run today. Stanley chased the girls when they went near his hutch most of the morning but... here is tea time...

All 3 having their tea in Stanley's hutch super proud!!!
40f70fb7f73e19cbcbfb27ccb9931f89.jpg

Well I think Stanley is a very lucky boy with 2 wifebuns and they all look super healthy. I bet you are very pleased!

I am tonibun but we have yet to leave them overnight separated again tonight.. not sure when to try a full overnight?? X

Wow :love: Well done all of you, but especially Superstar Stanley :)

I would say that it looks as though he accepts them now. I think I would start as early as you can tomorrow and see if they are happy all day. If they are I think I would try them overnight.

Wow :love: Well done all of you, but especially Superstar Stanley :)

I would say that it looks as though he accepts them now. I think I would start as early as you can tomorrow and see if they are happy all day. If they are I think I would try them overnight.

I agree! Hopefully they will have a happy winter all together.

First night a complete success...

My trio was sat at the door waiting for breakfast...

Only thing I've noticed girls aren't yet going upstairs in Stanley's accommodation which is where its warm and has all the fluffy bedding etc however they seem okay and are all very content.

Currently tucking into cuttings off my rose Bush.

So proud!!!

Back