• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hi and seeking advice - newbie questions

Bhavani

Young Bun
Hi all,

I'm a rabbit newbie (we adopted a bonded 4-year old pair), but an instant convert to rabbit lover within my first month.

However, we have also had a bit of a sad start. Just as Cookie and Cream had settled in to their new home (converted garden shed + attached run + free roam of lawn area), Cookie developed what we now realise was stasis. He was always a bit shy compared to Cream, and then seemed low on energy and unethusiastic about his food for a couple of days. We thought we'd wait and watch a bit (perhaps a rookie error, and we should have rushed him to the vet), and then to our dismay he rapidly detoriorated on a Sunday afternoon and was dead by Monday morning.

We were heartbroken, and I keep thinking I failed him somehow, though the vet doesn't think we did anything wrong.

The good news is that Cream is thriving and continues to be cheeky, lovely and energetic. Since I work from home, I take every opportunity to get out into the garden and have a chat with her.

I have a few newbie questions that could benefit from the collective wisdom here:

i) Although Cream seems fine, we are thinking about finding a new bun to bond with her. But the task seems daunting, especially considering the limited options if they do not bond successfully. What do you reckon the chances of bonding success are? We'd like to spend some time looking for a good bonding option - do people have experience of keeping lone rabbits for a stretch of time?

ii) I fear stasis on a daily basis now. Fortunately Cream munches her way through everything currently. Is there any medication to keep on hand in case she does show inappetence sometime in the future, before we get her to the vet? Does syringe feeding work?

iii) Flystrike is another fear. We do try to keep the shed and run as clean as possible, although poo does tend to accumulate even with daily cleaning, given Cream's appetite! Again, is there any medication to stock as precaution?

iv) Cream free ranges within a section of our lawn, coming and going from her run as she pleases. I keep an eye from my office window every now and then. But foxes, and potentially predatory birds, are a concern. Foxes are not common where we are, but I did see one just the other day a few hundred metres from our house! Cream sleep in the shed at night which I think is reasonably secure, but I am aware that bold foxes may take even daytime opportunities. Any experience with fox repellent strategies?

Sorry, I realise I have a lot of question. Any advice, or even just words of encouragement, gladly received!

Thanks,
Bhavani

photo

Hello again :wave: Well the mystery of the lost thread has been solved :) I'll give you my opinions on your questions.

Personally, I would not want to keep a single rabbit outside for any length of time. Obviously though, it takes time both to recover from a sad loss and also to find a suitable new partner for a remaining rabbit. I would say that most rabbits will bond well. Both rabbits obviously need to be neutered, a male and female pair is usually the most successful and the bonding needs to take place in a neutral territory. I would suggest that rabbit rescues would be the best place to ask for advice when you are ready. They will also sometimes offer help with the bonding process.

GI Stasis is always a concern. It's hard to know when to rush the rabbit off to the vet, but owners usually tend to recognise when 'things are really not right' with their rabbit in addition to not eating. I tend not to panic for the first hour or so and continually try to offer favourite foods before going to the vet. It's wise to get a rabbit seen sooner rather than later by a vet. They can do a physical examination and also conduct a blood glucose test, which can ascertain the liklihood of a blockage. This is important as if you are dealing with a blockage, it would be dangerous to syringe feed the rabbit. Once that possibility has been excluded, it is advisable to give regular syringe feeds to keep the rabbit's digestion moving.

Flystrike is something that I am grateful I have not experienced. A rabbit will generally keep themselves clean, but if not then obviously flystrike can happen. I do not use anything as a prevention with my rabbits. I would say keep the accommodation as clean as possible and very regularly examine for signs of a mucky bottom.

I've responded to your question re foxes on your other thread.

No other advice apart from keep on enjoying your rabbit :)

Thank you! Invaluable insight - we will continue our search for a bond for Cream, even though she currently seems quite settled in as queen of the manor!

Back