• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stasis and vaccination question

Hi all

The bunnies are due at the vet this morning for their vaccinations. Unfortunately when I got up this morning, Snoopy was hiding away and is refusing any food I'm offering.

I'm going to phone the vet as soon as they open and explain that he needs to be examined for stasis symptoms when I bring them in. Am I right in thinking that he shouldn't be given the vaccination until he's better?

I've never been in this situation before and there is a new vet at the practice (new in the sense that I've never met her, there's always been a locum at previous appointments!) so I'm not sure how rabbit savvy she is.

Thanks!

Hi all

The bunnies are due at the vet this morning for their vaccinations. Unfortunately when I got up this morning, Snoopy was hiding away and is refusing any food I'm offering.

I'm going to phone the vet as soon as they open and explain that he needs to be examined for stasis symptoms when I bring them in. Am I right in thinking that he shouldn't be given the vaccination until he's better?

I've never been in this situation before and there is a new vet at the practice (new in the sense that I've never met her, there's always been a locum at previous appointments!) so I'm not sure how rabbit savvy she is.

Thanks!

IMO he should not be vaccinated today. Hope he feels better soon x

Yes, I have had that happen before. I usually give it a week of eating/behaving normally before they have the vaccination.

I agree with others and would not vaccinate. I hope that Snoopy feels a lot better soon.

Thanks all. I've just spoken to the vet and explained the situation. I'll sort out the rescheduling of the vaccine when I'm there.

I've syringe fed him some water. He was pretty feisty which I always find reassuring! He hasn't eaten anything though and he's back to hiding away. I can hear his tummy gurgling quite loudly. No idea if that's good or not!

Sending healthy vibes.

We had this with Primrose this year she had a gas episode just before vaccine was due and I think the vet asked for 3 weeks recovery from that as her belly was so touchy.

The stress from the vaccine put her straight into stasis that time so we were glad we had waited as it would've compounded the problem. It was at the beginning of lockdown and I couldn't go in with her.

The vet described her as feisty for the jab whereas she used to just cuddle into me and let them get on with it. So think she must've gotten really worked up.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Snoopy needs to know that going into stasis is not a way to avoid the vet trip :roll: Hope he feels better soon xx

Thanks for the vibes and well wishes everyone. So it looks like he was going into stasis. The vet couldn't find an obvious cause and unfortunately I couldn't be in the consult with him. They didn't have any cisapride so they had to order some at the Animal hospital for me to pick up.

So he's had his meds and I've started the syringe feeds. I'm just going to sit here now fretting until he poos! He's scheduled in again for his vaccine in two weeks, depending on how his recovery goes.

Fudgie was the one I was actually worried about as she's going through a heavy moult at the moment which is normally the danger period for stasis for her. Despite vigorous grooming she still looks a scruff bag at the moment.

Thanks both xx

J&B, Snoopy actually rarely grooms Fudgie. She has to really nag him to do it. Having said that, when I woke up a couple of days ago he was giving her quite a vigorous groom. Which makes me wonder whether he grooms her a lot more than I thought. I was actually really pleased when I saw it, but now I'm thinking I should have been worried instead in case he's ingested a load of her fur!

No sign of poos yet from what I can see. Positives, however, are that his ears feel a lot warmer than they did this morning, he's taking the syringe feeds really well and he's pretty alert. He's reacting to me doing things around him and he seems very aware another syringe feed is imminent!

Yay Poo!

It's amazing the relief those little nuggets bring [emoji23]

Hoping for a smooth recovery!

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

yay for Snoopy poo - inevitable they'll be small with such reduced appetite / food refusal . What a clever sausage - is he eating much?

Back