• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

blocking off a 7ft space

binkyCodie

Mama Doe
I’m pretty stumped on this one

this is partly laziness but also bunny safety. I don’t really want to rip up the entire back yards weeds as it’s going to be quite a task tbh. I also worry about them chewing the outhouses or back gate, as they’re made of wood.

so.. for my ease and rabbit safety, I think it’s easier to block off that part of the garden. I just don’t know how.

I’d like to block off between the kitchen and the fence, which is 7ft (and would then block off the outhouses and back gate from them).

somebody suggested fence panels but I’m not sure how I would incorporate that, as I can’t really attach anything (and I still need to be easily get to the back gate myself) so fence panels feel a little tricky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it on level, solid ground? If it’s just for bunny exercise times could you use puppy panels? Screw eyes and cable ties are useful to fix them in place.

Is it on level, solid ground? If it’s just for bunny exercise times could you use puppy panels? Screw eyes and cable ties are useful to fix them in place.

sorry, I should have been more descriptive, I thought I included a picture but evidently only thought about it :lol:

level, solid ground, on concrete. the entire back yard is concrete with no grass.

I've been looking at puppy pens / panels but most create a pen vs a barrier. I had my eye on one that made a barrier, but its sold out currently :( I can only think of the ellie bo panels, but they're naff in a straight line, so I'd need more panels to create a sort of half rectangle, and I'd be looking at around £84 to do that (possibly more as I'm not sure if 1 barrier either side to balance it would work).

unfortunately I'm not allowed to screw anything into the wall (I'm not even allowed blue tack!), which is my issue. I've seen room dividers for kids, but, they need to be screwed into the wall. + as its an exterior brick wall I'd be screwing into (the kitchen wall) I feel a bit iffy :lol: pipes n stuff. so ideally I need to somehow make it free standing :? which I think its quite impossible. the ellie bo panels might be my way forward.

You'll need some mesh fencing, at least 4ft tall. The trouble is finding it with the small holes required, most of the stuff in DIY shops has holes that rabbits can squeeze through, so you'll probably have to order it online.

This sort of thing:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/apollo-50mm-plastic-coated-chain-link-fencing-1-2-x-10m/52027
With a bunch of stakes to hold it up.

hmm that is a nice idea but alas, the garden is all concrete so no way to put steaks anywhere - and I'm not allowed to screw anything into the walls (I'm not even allowed blue tack on the walls). + as its a kitchen wall, I'd feel a bit iffy with pipes etc in case I hit something?? maybe that's a silly concern, I'm not very aware of house structure etc :lol:

Large dog crates? You can sort of join them up using puppy panels between open doors. They would be self-supporting and easy to move or dismantle.

Build someting self supporting out of timber
I googled freestanding fences: https://www.google.com/search?q=woo...SnsZeYCQ&bih=649&biw=1280&rlz=1CARCMY_enGB843 Some of them are expandable. You could mesh them up to where you needed in their 'final' position. This on https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ruby-Portable-Freestanding-Treated-Wooden/dp/B01FDG2JRC is 6' long and 3' high but you could mesh 1' over the top, it doesn't need to be supported. You could block up the other 1' with bricks off Freecycle or whatever, just build a freestanding column like we did on our dog crate (towards the left of the picture) https://photos.app.goo.gl/t8PifMqnH5yJU8jx5. I probably have enough spare bricks I could deliver depending on where you are :)

Back