• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Breeders help please

Hi guys... new to this and have a quick question about my suspected pregnant doe?

Background info.
Doe is a large lop but not giant. She is 3 years old never been bred.
Male is 3 years old he’s proven to throw out litters. He too is a mini lop.
They mated on 21st August around 5-6pm for around an hour or so and in that time we noted he had fell off a good few time’s so assumed success. A few days later put them together again and doe was not having any of it she was nipping and running away from him.
For the last week - 8 days she’s been plucking fur and nest making - very messy tho. I placed a nest box in and used her fur to line it.
Today is day 31 and still no kits. Am I to expect kindling tonight day 31 going into day 32? Or is she not pregnant. Tbh I’ve been to nervous to pick her up to feel incase I hurt her. She does seem like she doesn’t want me to touch her belly she moves me with her head, she’s not aggressive towards me tho.
I’m just thinking she’s not pregnant now because of her age. But reading 3 years isn’t necessarily old they can breed til 4?

Breeders help?

Hi guys... new to this and have a quick question about my suspected pregnant doe?

Background info.
They mated on 21st August around 5-6pm for around an hour or so and in that time we noted he had fell off a good few time’s so assumed success. A few days later put them together again and doe was not having any of it she was nipping and running away from him.
For the last week - 8 days she’s been plucking fur and nest making - very messy tho. I placed a nest box in and used her fur to line it.
Today is day 31 and still no kits. Am I to expect kindling tonight day 31 going into day 32? Or is she not pregnant. Tbh I’ve been to nervous to pick her up to feel incase I hurt her. She does seem like she doesn’t want me to touch her belly she moves me with her head, she’s not aggressive towards me tho.
I’m just thinking she’s not pregnant now because of her age. But reading 3 years isn’t necessarily old they can breed til 4?

Sadly she may struggle to deliver a first litter if she is 3 :cry:

If she has not kindled within the next 24 hours you need to consult a Vet. If she can’t deliver the kits vaginally she’ll need. C section :cry:

Please remove the Buck from her if you have not already done so. He will impregnate her again if he is with her when she kindles.

Does usually eat very little in the 12 or so hours prior to kindling

I only make it 28 days from mating according to your date so it is highly likely your Bunny is pregnant, hence her refusal to let the Buck mate with her anymore. So she could have her babies Tuesday or Wednesday and 3 isn't too old as long as she is in good health.

Some does take longer, 33-34 days is still in the normal range. 3 years is no problem, I retired one doe after her last litter at age 7 (she's not happy about that), that it's her first litter at that age may not be optimal, but I haven't heard much of problems when there were accidential litters at that age or older.

Since it sounds that she's a little stressed already by her instincts kicking in surprisingly I would see to it that she has rest and privacy, and give her lots of nesting material. If there is a lot of fur already safe some to replace soild parts of the nest, or to add if the actual nest isn't covered well.

Keep an eye on her, but don't stress her. I would not bring her to the vet if nothing is wrong.

They can breed for many more years, so having them spayed/neutered is the surest way to avoid unwanted babies and sometimes health issues.
If there a reason you put the buck back with the doe when you thought she may be pregnant?

Last edited:

Background info.

You already started a thread and some people responded
Sadly she may struggle to deliver a first litter if she is 3 :cry:

If she has not kindled within the next 24 hours you need to consult a Vet. If she can’t deliver the kits vaginally she’ll need. C section :cry:

Please remove the Buck from her if you have not already done so. He will impregnate her again if he is with her when she kindles.

Does usually eat very little in the 12 or so hours prior to kindling

Background info.

I have moved the posts replying to you on the thread you posted on to the thread you started on the same subject, as we don’t allow cross posting/duplicate posts. See the forum rules http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?92998-Forum-Rules

Back