• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Adopted Senior Bun

ShirleyGirl

Young Bun
Hello,

After losing Leroy in May, I have decided to adopt again, hopefully to bond with my Lulu. I went into the local rescue yesterday to see a young, small boy and came out with an old, BIG Californian that nobody wanted - he's been in the rescue since May 2019 and no one knew his history. He does not want picked up so I have not done so.

I want to take him out into the sunshine and fresh air today. Do you think it is too soon to try? He is a little skittish but will let me pet his head for as long as I will sit to do so (after he grunts a few times.)

Also, he made quite a mess in his cage last night. Poop and pee on his towel as well as his litter box.

Any advice for adopting an old man who has not been handled much at all?

Thank you!!!!

Aww well done adopting an older bun. The mess could possibly be stress of new environment etc. Have you a secure run area you could let him have a runaround for at the moment. Try keep handing to minimum build up till he is ready, lots of you on the floor time x

May you and your new bunny form many positive memories as you grow together. It is wonderful of you to take on a larger bunny since many persons do not have the space.

Such a wonderful thing to do!

I second the give some room to settle and lots of floor time for bonding with you.

I used to read to Rodney when he was first with us, just sitting nearby with a book eventually he would brave running up and trying to nibble my pages and then zooming off again!

My sister took in an older boy and she did have to litter train etc but he settled after a couple of months and they had a lovely cuddly relationship.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

He is doing well. I have room - he's in a large dog crate with an ex pen attached. I will increase the space as he shows me his good litter habits, which he seems to be doing so far. He has two litter boxes - one on each end of his space, plus room for me to sit in his enclosure. He will come up and smell me, let me rub his head, groom and eat hay with me there. Good sign, right?

I would recommend keeping a schedule. Pick him up at the same time every day, during a quiet time. And when you put him back down, give him a treat. If it's predictable they sometimes cope better.

Back