• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonded rabbits chase

drmag

Young Bun
I successfully bonded an 18months chap with my 13 months female (both neutered ages ago.)
They've been free roaming for a week now.

The chap is double maned so we have to do regular brushing and knot removal. We only did it twice this week so not to disrupt him too much.
We noticed that both times we did it (worse today) my female chased him instantly when we put him down again.

We have to give him pellets as a treat to sit still for brushing and my female is very food orientated so I dont know if jealousy is an issue. We do give her a few pellets at same time but cant give in excess obviously!

The chase scared me, no injury occurred I picked them both up put then in the hallway together they sniffed each other calmed down and then I let them out again as if nothing happened.

Tricky as we have to pick him up to brush him for his wellbeing.

10 minutes after I posted they had a fight. :(
I haven't gone back to square one but have stuck them into a vinegared indoor cage for 24 /7 bonding and gradually increase area.

Once you have re-established the bond when you have to pick the Buck up I’d first pop the Doe into a Pet carrier. Then groom the Buck, put him back down and leave it 10 minutes before putting the Doe back down too.

Good idea, thanks. Bit annoyed at my little lady as she's always been a bit of a territorial trouble.

Back