• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Breeding question

Berni58

New Kit
When I was given my bunnies I was told they were both female so they have been used to always being together. My question is at 4.5months is my buck capable of impregnating the doe. I'm keeping them apart just now and I feel it's so cruel to them when they are so used to being together?

I'm not sure I'm understanding you properly. Are you sure of the sex of your two bunnies? The answer to that will be necessary before anyone can answer your question :)

There is a great possibility that your female is pregnant or would get pregnant if you were to put them together. The best way forward is to have them both neutered, the boy is now old enough and then wait for 6 weeks before putting them back together. The female can be spayed at around 6 months. Some Vets would neuter them both now.

Hi, if you do have a buck and a doe the buck is completely fertile at 4.5 months old, so is the doe. I would completely separate them until you’ve had them neutered as rabbits are highly fertile, the doe can get pregnant shortly after giving birth as well.
You would have to re-bond them after you’ve had them neutered at a rabbit savvy vet.
Hope this helps :)

If you have a 4.5 month old entire Buck with a 4.5 month old entire Doe it is very likely that the Buck will impregnate the Doe. That said you seem a tad unsure of the genders of your Rabbits. Unless I have misread your post. I would get the genders of the Rabbits confirmed by a Rabbit savvy Vet. If they have not had their vaccinations this could be done too. If one of the Rabbits is a Buck he is old enough to be neutered now. The Doe needs to be a bit older, preferably about 6 months. So you will need to keep both Rabbits apart even AFTER the Buck has been neutered. Bucks can remain fertile for 4-6 weeks after neutering so he could still impregnate your Doe.

I'm not sure I'm understanding you properly. Are you sure of the sex of your two bunnies? The answer to that will be necessary before anyone can answer your question :)

Yes, the vet has confirmed they are a buck and a doe.

I didn't put the buck back with the doe when I thought she night be pregnant. I had to board them together for a week as my property is up for sale and they were just over 4 months then. I was unsure about all of this and am just hoping that in that one week the doe hasn't got pregnant. It was not done deliberately and they have been separated ever since.

I didn't put the buck back with the doe when I thought she night be pregnant. I had to board them together for a week as my property is up for sale and they were just over 4 months then. I was unsure about all of this and am just hoping that in that one week the doe hasn't got pregnant. It was not done deliberately and they have been separated ever since.

I think the other post was replying to someone else who posted on your thread. I’ve moved their posts and replies to them to their own thread now!

I'm sorry. I'm making a right mess of this replying.

It’s not helped that originally someone else posted on your thread and then some people were replying to them and some to you, and I removed those to their own thread in the middle of you replying I think! If you use reply with quote you can reply to individual posts clearly then :D

Back