Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breeding question

Hybrid View

Default Breeding question

When I was given my bunnies I was told they were both female so they have been used to always being together. My question is at 4.5months is my buck capable of impregnating the doe. I'm keeping them apart just now and I feel it's so cruel to them when they are so used to being together?

Wise Old Thumper

I'm not sure I'm understanding you properly. Are you sure of the sex of your two bunnies? The answer to that will be necessary before anyone can answer your question

Default Breeding question

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    I'm not sure I'm understanding you properly. Are you sure of the sex of your two bunnies? The answer to that will be necessary before anyone can answer your question
    Yes, the vet has confirmed they are a buck and a doe.

Buck and a doe as confirmed by vet.

Wise Old Thumper

There is a great possibility that your female is pregnant or would get pregnant if you were to put them together. The best way forward is to have them both neutered, the boy is now old enough and then wait for 6 weeks before putting them back together. The female can be spayed at around 6 months. Some Vets would neuter them both now.

They are separated now and buck booked in for neutering next week.

Hi, if you do have a buck and a doe the buck is completely fertile at 4.5 months old, so is the doe. I would completely separate them until you’ve had them neutered as rabbits are highly fertile, the doe can get pregnant shortly after giving birth as well.
    You would have to re-bond them after you’ve had them neutered at a rabbit savvy vet.
    Hope this helps

Thank you.

If you have a 4.5 month old entire Buck with a 4.5 month old entire Doe it is very likely that the Buck will impregnate the Doe. That said you seem a tad unsure of the genders of your Rabbits. Unless I have misread your post. I would get the genders of the Rabbits confirmed by a Rabbit savvy Vet. If they have not had their vaccinations this could be done too. If one of the Rabbits is a Buck he is old enough to be neutered now. The Doe needs to be a bit older, preferably about 6 months. So you will need to keep both Rabbits apart even AFTER the Buck has been neutered. Bucks can remain fertile for 4-6 weeks after neutering so he could still impregnate your Doe.

I used to be ‘Jack’s-Jane’ but I have been logged out of that account and I can’t get back in !

Apologies if my posts read as being blunt. Failing eyesight makes it hard to type out long messages.

I had them confirmed by the vet as a buck and a doe.