• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Will a rabbit biting me affect our owner/bunny bond?

lionlopdad

New Kit
Hi everyone,

Bit of a sad morning, I was woken up by the sound of our bonded bunnies scuffling. Of course I immediately step in to avoid them hurting eachother and, because the clapping technique just doesn't seem to work with them, I go to pick one up. I pick the male up as he is both closest to me and generally a bit bigger than the female (he is a Holland lop, we think, and she is a mini-lop. As soon as I pick him up he bites down on my arm, like not "nip", his teeth sunk in and he tried to hang on, which did even more damage when I dropped him onto the sofa and it tore a bit of my arm open. I immediately got him into his pen and closed it to separate them before washing/putting a plaster on the bite. After I got back from the bathroom and had calmed down a bit (I was quite upset from the shock and I was worried about our bond) and I reached in to pet him and he was his usual self, loving cheek rubs and suchlike. I'm just very worried that this was an upsetting experience for him too, as I don't know if he would have bit me so hard if he didn't think I was a threat or whether it was just that he was already upset from scuffling and me picking him up surprised him. I'm hoping our established bond won't be affected because, although he's always tended to hop away from longer periods of petting we've always had a fairly strong bond since we adopted him. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.

I have been bitten like this during fights, I don't think it will affect your bond. Bunny won't have thought it was you he was biting just got caught up during the arguement with his companion. Sounds like he's already forgotten it too! I hope he is able to be reintroduced to his companion.

Back