• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lillian unwell - in hospital for an overnight stay

What a scary time! But it sounds like you may now have the right plan to manage going forward which is great.

I'm newish so forgive me if this has been asked before,is it the norm to only take one bun to the vets?

I've always taken both and had the vets keep both in if a stay is needed. Our old non rabbit savvy vets always were a bit reluctant but the new exotics ones insist upon it.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

I'm newish so forgive me if this has been asked before,is it the norm to only take one bun to the vets?

I've always taken both and had the vets keep both in if a stay is needed. Our old non rabbit savvy vets always were a bit reluctant but the new exotics ones insist upon it.
Generally both is best but sometimes one is better :thumb:

Best wishes for continued improvement! :)

What a scary time! But it sounds like you may now have the right plan to manage going forward which is great.

You are absolutely right and thank you so much for your input and thoughts. We took a snuggle toy for Lillian which she is familiar with but the vet last night said we could/should have taken Leo who would have been in a seperate compartment but Lillian would have been able to see and smell him. I have slightly mixed views on that - in that it would have confused Leo to be somewhere quite intimidating and stuck in a smaller area but it would have had therapeutic benefit for Lillian.
So yes, I agree with you and you are right.

I did always feel awful taking Rodney along for all of Primrose's extra appointments as he hates the car so much and literally shakes the whole time.

But I am reassured by the fact that the vet always say they see no sign of that since they get him in and settled and he simply enjoys running riot in the enclosure and munching his way through all the food they supply!

It is wonderful she is home and you now know the reason she did not pee and a plan for any future occurrences.

So sorry to hear of Lillians bladder issues Craig, I've not been on for a few days, so catching up. Well done you for picking up on the problem, and so pleased that the vets have been so thorough. Sending loads of vibes for both Lillian, and lovely husbun Leo xx

What a relief that she is home and you finally have some kind of answers! So pleased for you all xx

Quick update for everybun- 7:30pm.
Lillian has been very subdued since she came home. According to my wife, she has picked bits of parsley throughout the day but she hasn’t really moved from the toilet area.
I’ve been in since 4pm and Lillian hasn’t really moved from the toilet area. I’ve not seen much evidence of eating but she had a few dried apple bits about half an hour ago.
She is bone dry underneath and not totally zonked out but I know from previous experience with Lillian that she doesn’t recover very quickly from anaesthetic. She was like this after the bladder stone last year (but worse) and she was like this when we got her spayed almost 3 years ago to the day. I can’t feel any evidence of spasm but her lack of appetite at the moment is a concern.
We’re going to get some critical care into her in about half an hour - it’s usually a battle but we need to get something in her to help get things moving back to normal.
I’ll update you all in the morning as to how she has been during the night.
Hard to say at this stage, whether she has done much poop or wee. But I’m keeping an eye on that as best I can.
Craig xx

Well I'm glad there's a diagnosis, but sad she's a bit off put from the visit. I hope she'll be feeling better by morning and that she will have eaten and toileted successfully. Poor love. It's hard being a bunny with bladder issues. I watched Pip struggle with sludge for most of her life, and yet we couldn't find a hay that didn't contribute, only one that would be less offensive to her system. Had to absolutely stay away from oat, which was her favorite. :(

Speaking from a woman's perspective, if it's not one thing it's another when it comes to bladder function, and that's all I'll say on the matter. A design I think the creator could've done with a refresher course on. :lol:

Really hoping things change for the better soon. Lots of vibes being sent. xxxx

Sending Lillian lots of vibes. I hope she starts feeling more normal tomorrow. I also hope that the new management plan for her will see results.

9am update. Lillian doesn’t appear to have moved from her position in the large toilet area, although she looks comfortable.
I offered her some breakfast - fresh parsley and greens and she seemed keen to pick through that, and a couple of pellets, but not a full blown appetite. She kept coming back to it, so grazing, whereas she usually goes at one sitting and tucks right in. So a little concerned that her appetite isn’t there. She seems bright but no energy.
This could be the effects still of the anaesthetic but I’m not sure.
Going to administer 1ml metacam now plus a dose of metaclopromide to boost the gut stimulation as I think once we get that back and working, then Lillian will be more energetic.
Thank you all for following and all your vibes.
Craig xx

Right - now I’m hecking confused. Feel free to comment/advise or just smile.
Meds given about 90 minutes ago. Madame showing little zest to do anything. I get that. She’s been prodded and no doubt her tummy hurts from being expressed. So I completely get that.
10 mins ago I go to check in her. She’s sploofed out in the same area she’s been the last 24 hours, eyes tight shut. Dreaming of carrots no doubt but I’ve not seen Lillian like that - shut eye sleeping. Had to check she was breathing.
Anyway, I opened the back door to garden to let some air in and maybe just make Lillian feel the nice fresh air and the autumn warmth whilst I started on making meals and my sandwiches for lunches next week.
My back is turned for 5 minutes - 5 minutes. Next thing I hear is my wife saying “ooh she’s running up the garden”. I turn round and sure enough she’s scampering up to her favourite sunbathing spot at the top of the garden closely followed by floofy feet. She’s settled down comfy, not fidgeting as she was 2 days ago. Sun warm on her back but shade if she wants it. There’s triffids to nom on and grass.
But I’m really pleased she’s gone out and felt the need and desire and energy to go out. It’s her decision and the sun will give her vitamin c and she’ll fell better in the fresh autumn air.
Ask me half an hour ago and I was worried as heck. Now I feel a lot better seeing Lillian chose to go out.
I’ll update you all later when my stress levels are better!

Back