• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mounting vs mating

dollyanna

Alpha Buck
First post here and seeking an answer I can't find anywhere else!
I can find lots of information about mounting behaviours, but would a neutered male still mount and stay to the end point of falling off?
Basically we aren't 100% sure my boy is neutered, vet is pretty sure he is but it's a little ambiguous. Started bonding yesterday and whilst I am quite happy to allow mounting as normal behaviour, I don't know if it is normal to "finish" each time!:oops::lol:

I cannot answer your question, yet you may want to have female spayed if she is healthy enough for surgery even if your male was neutered.

How old is your boy? It doesn't sound like he is neutered. It could be that his testicles haven't dropped.

He's 18 months-ish. My vet had a really good feel but was pretty sure there were no testicles, and what was left was simply the remains of a closed surgery. We will of course have him done if he hasn't, but equally I don't want to put him through an anaesthetic only to find that he didn't need it. This is the only behaviour that might suggest he's entire - he is perfectly litter trained, very friendly, has never shown any mounting behaviour towards us, no circling, no aggression, no spraying, absolutely nothing else.
I just want to know if it is possible for over-excited neutered males to hump to the extent of finishing, because if it is then we can just watch very closely and give him chance to get used to having a friend. If it never ever happens then we will send him in to be neutered. But I have read other threads with excessive humping during bonding, similar stories of lone males, but would like to know whether that includes orgasm or just humping!

I think this thread would get more attention if it were in the Health Section and I hope someone can advise you.

Can you contact the Veterinary Practice where his neuter was supposed to have been done?

If he was only neutered recently he will still be very hormonal. This would tapper off after 6-8 weeks x

Unfortunately not, he's a rescue, hence the slight query. My vet has looked and felt he had been done and there was no evidence of actual testicles, but there is still "something" in his scrotum, which he felt was just the leftover tubes from a closed surgery. He also felt that for the size of rabbit he would have more there if he hadn't been done. Wish there was an easy way to be certain!
I shall repost in the health section, I thought it was more a behavioural question as it is relating to bonding.
I find it hard to believe that his behaviour doesn't give more of a hint of him being entire, we have never seen any of the behaviours usually associated with entires. It is just his behaviour with our doe which is a bit excessive, though it does seem to be calming down now a little.

It is really common for rabbits to be relentlessly humpy in the early stages so maybe this situation is nothing more, he is carrying on for a good while because she is letting him. I remember asking on here if neutered bunnies ejaculate - didn't get any replies though :lol:& Google wasn't forthcoming (reason I ask is one of my girls has the odd stick y-ish patch on her fur & she's quite open to being mounted. Its a good sign its calming down. Personally I'd just review him once they are fully bonded

Thank you - I am finding the same thing as you, that google is not helpful and no-one seems to know the direct answer!! He is calming down (though that may be sheer exhaustion!) and she is fed up but not distressed, eating, seeking him out of her own accord, trying to groom him when he stays still long enough.
After a long night it does seem to be changing, he is less intense and is now taking the time to eat between "chases" which is new and a relief - last night he didn't really eat until I crated him eventually to let her rest. And just now they have laid down together for a few moments.
I keep reading about other rabbits that are excessive initially so I am staying hopeful for now whilst monitoring very closely!

Quick update - 24hrs in and the humping has vastly reduced though he is still a definite sexpest :roll:, not seen any climaxing for a few hours now, she is still happy enough, and finally they are both eating alongside each other and just chilling a bit more - and he's had some really lovely washes from her, even if he doesn't seem to appreciate them!!
Do wish he would stop taking out chunks of her hair though :(
Looking more reassuring that it is just overexcitement after being alone his whole life which is a relief!

Back