• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxomatosis in mum, worried for babies

Bunmum001

New Kit
Hello,
I'm new here. My beautiful lop Bee had 4 beautiful kits 4 weeks ago and they're doing fantastically.
Yesterday I noticed Bee wasnt right and took her to the vet. They suspected myxomatosis. She is 14 months old and hed her vaccination in November 2019.

The vet gave her an antibiotic injection and said to monitor her closely which I've been doing. He also said to remove the babies as they're eating pellets, drinking water and nibbling hay so they're now away from her. No signs of disease in them (so far) and obviously they've been too young to vaccinate.

We are going back to the vet this evening as she seems to be deteriorating quite quickly although she is still eating small amounts.

There is no way I'm going to let her suffer the excruciating symptoms of myxi if she gets a lot worse but obviously we dont want to lose her.

I know the vaccination gives her a better chance so were keeping everything crossed but I'm so worried about the babies.

Has anyone experienced this and found that the babies weren't infected? I know theres a very good chance they're going to develop symptoms in the next few days but I'm hoping to find a positive story somewhere.

Any advice or help would be appreciated
774191931370535c8d681e869ace70f5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Hello,
I'm new here. My beautiful lop Bee had 4 beautiful kits 4 weeks ago and they're doing fantastically.
Yesterday I noticed Bee wasnt right and took her to the vet. They suspected myxomatosis. She is 14 months old and hed her vaccination in November 2019.

The vet gave her an antibiotic injection and said to monitor her closely which I've been doing. He also said to remove the babies as they're eating pellets, drinking water and nibbling hay so they're now away from her. No signs of disease in them (so far) and obviously they've been too young to vaccinate.

We are going back to the vet this evening as she seems to be deteriorating quite quickly although she is still eating small amounts.

There is no way I'm going to let her suffer the excruciating symptoms of myxi if she gets a lot worse but obviously we dont want to lose her.

I know the vaccination gives her a better chance so were keeping everything crossed but I'm so worried about the babies.

Has anyone experienced this and found that the babies weren't infected? I know theres a very good chance they're going to develop symptoms in the next few days but I'm hoping to find a positive story somewhere.

Any advice or help would be appreciated
774191931370535c8d681e869ace70f5.jpg

Hello
The kits may have some immunity as maternal transmission of antibodies takes place and a passive immunity laser for 4-5 weeks. Did the Vet mention treating all Rabbits for fleas ?

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/infectious-disease/myxomatosis

Did the Vet also prescribe a non steroidal anti inflammatory to be given daily ? If an antibiotic injection was given and no oral antibiotics to be continued every day at home I assume it was long acting antibiotic ?

Hello, thankyou for your reply.
No the vet didn't mention anything about fleas and didn't give any medication for home it was just one injection of antibiotoc. When I called to give them an update this morning (which they asked me to do) I asked about more antibiotics but was told she wouldn't need any more. I'll ask about the other bits when we go back later on.
Thank you

Hello, thankyou for your reply.
No the vet didn't mention anything about fleas and didn't give any medication for home it was just one injection of antibiotoc. When I called to give them an update this morning (which they asked me to do) I asked about more antibiotics but was told she wouldn't need any more. I'll ask about the other bits when we go back later on.
Thank you

She most definitely does need ongoing daily antibiotics and a non steroidal anti-inflammatory such as Metacam. If her eyelids are very swollen and there is ocular discharge she needs antibiotic eye drops too. Is your Vet Rabbit Savvy- ie has a vast amount of experience treating Rabbits ?

I'm going to call them now and ask about this medication.
I assumed they were rabbit savvy but clearly not (i've never had a poorly rabbit like this, only been to vet for vaccinations and neutering in the past) so I might ring around for one that has experienced treating myxomatosis

Just to add, I have nursed a vaccinated rabbit with Myxomatosis. He was very poorly for a while, but recovered with aggressive antibiotic treatment (Penicillin injections) and Metacam.

Sending lots of vibes for your bunnies. I hope that you can get some appropriate treatment from the other vet.

Thankyou. I have called and left a message. My vet is going to prescribe some more antibiotics and metacam thank goodness

Okay I have antibiotics and anti inflammatory for her, shes not looking great but is still eating and drinking really well so that's a positive thing and she still perks up and his around everytime we go to see her.
I havent been letting her out in the garden (shes usually out most of the day) because I dont want her to leave traces of the disease anywhere and risk re-infecting herself when she does recover ([emoji1696][emoji1696][emoji1696]) I've read that myxomatosis can last for 4 months in the garden.

On a happy note, the babies are really well and loving their new enclosure

Thank you so much for letting us know how they all are. I am very glad that she's still eating, as this is obviously important. Great also that the kits are doing well. Sending lots of vibes for them all.

Back